S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: hard starting, glow plugs working...  (Read 3723 times)

April 09, 2008, 09:49:49 pm

...smith

hard starting, glow plugs working...
« on: April 09, 2008, 09:49:49 pm »
I just put a rebuilt 1.9L TDI back in my 99 Jetta and am having starting trouble.  Some things I know:  the IP cut-off solenoid is open at "Start" and "run" but not at "on" (although I believe it should), the glow plugs and bus are working, however they'll only come on some of the time (i can tell by the dimming of the interior light and i thought they were supposed to come on every time at least for 7 seconds...)  I can turn the key, have them not come on, pull the key out then in and turn again and they'll preheat.  On a cold morning, the plugs will heat up and the car will start no problem, but in the afternoon, I'll crank it and nothing will happen.  As for now, I've been plugging it in in the warmer temps to get it to fire (go figure).  One thought that comes to mind is the ignition switch, although my knowledge with wiring is horrendously limited.  I'm thinking that the IP solenoid and the preheat issue may somehow be related?  How can I do some basic troubleshooting?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #1April 10, 2008, 12:14:31 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
hard starting, glow plugs working...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 12:14:31 am »
I just read on vortex that the 99.5s have a ECU fault that makes warm starting difficult due to under fueling. Here is the link

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3772209
Tyler

Fixmyvw.com