Author Topic: Vanagon progress  (Read 63644 times)

Reply #165September 04, 2009, 03:36:02 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Re: Vanagon progress
« Reply #165 on: September 04, 2009, 03:36:02 pm »
It was missing before I ever got my hands on the van. Probably from when the engine got replaced many years ago. My van has seen a few good hacks in its day...

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #166September 05, 2009, 11:40:39 am

witoke

• Junior

« Reply #166 on: September 05, 2009, 11:40:39 am »
Well, the fleabay tip was a good'un. First day nothing, second day- Bingo. Came from somewhere east of here, Oklahoma or some other flatland state. So when that's installed again I'll be back to the struggle of trying to figure out the EGT's and the hot running engine! Anybody ever heard of a different and bigger radiator being fitted to a van? Maybe I should just get a big radiator and mount it on the front like a Mexican bay window.

Would still like one of your blue ribbon engine mounts Mr. Pabst...

Reply #167September 25, 2009, 06:28:10 pm

wildenbeast

• Junior

• The WILDENBEAST
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2009, 06:28:10 pm »
Have you made any progress on your oil temps?  I am having similar oil temps; 270F when going from 5,000' up to Eisenhower Pass at ~10,500'.  I am about to add the large oil cooler from a Toureg to my finned cooler as Otis suggested.  I have a 1.9AAZ TD with a T2 turbo, Saab intercooler, new radiator, front mounted 19row finned oil cooler, and normal size OEM oil cooler in a Syncro Adventurewagen.  Here's my setup; http://billwildenberg.shutterfly.com/vwvanagon
I am thinking of adding water/methanol injection but would rather not add complexity...
1990 Syncro Adventurewagen
1.9 Turbo Diesel (AAZ)
http://billwildenberg.shutterfly.com/vwvanagon

Reply #168September 25, 2009, 06:49:53 pm

witoke

• Junior

« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2009, 06:49:53 pm »
I blew my turbo up so had to send it away to be rebuilt. Still waiting for G-pop shop to get to it. Once that's done then I have to get it all back together and replace both crank seals that are leaking. I am surprised that you are having this problem with a 1.9. I would have guessed that a 1.9 would not be working that hard. Incidentally do you also get low oil pressure when the oil gets hot?

Nice looking van you have there BTW.

Reply #169October 26, 2009, 08:46:34 am

HarryMann

• Junior

« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2009, 08:46:34 am »
Anybody ever heard of a different and bigger radiator being fitted to a van?

There were two originally listed by VW, but I'm told only one is now supplied by VW...

which should be the better (later) one, originally specified for the JX, DJ etc

068 121 253 E (A originally supplied for the DG, SP 1.9 petrols)

The 1.9 diesel does produce prodigious amounts of heat, particualrly at higher rpm and particularly as the trubine starts choking and cylinder back-pressure goes up.

VW's T3 solution was to change the diesel's cab floorpan, with a wider duct for better egress, and of course a more powerful 2-stage fan.
The rad external fins should be clean , the cardboard side baffles be in place and in good nick, and the fans checked and working (which can/do come on even when cruising above say 60 or hillclimbing, as well as in traffic/idling)
I suppose a check that your water pump vanes aren't corroded away too..

Reply #170October 26, 2009, 11:46:38 am

wildenbeast

• Junior

• The WILDENBEAST
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2009, 11:46:38 am »
The 1.9 diesel does produce prodigious amounts of heat, particualrly at higher rpm and particularly as the trubine starts choking and cylinder back-pressure goes up.
VW's T3 solution was to change the diesel's cab floorpan, with a wider duct for better egress, and of course a more powerful 2-stage fan.

Can you possibly share some links or images that show the differences in the floorpan?  This could be a huge reason for the higher oil temps in conversion diesel vans.
1.9 Turbo Diesel (AAZ)

Reply #171October 26, 2009, 12:47:16 pm

blackdogvan

• Veteran

« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2009, 12:47:16 pm »
Are you talking about the cooling changes VW made between the 85 & 86 model years?

Awesome site BTW wildenbeast!! Really great resource for anyone looking for info.
1991 Vanagon 1.9 mTDI

Reply #172October 26, 2009, 12:55:07 pm

wildenbeast

• Junior

• The WILDENBEAST
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2009, 12:55:07 pm »
Thanks.  I set up that website so I could always go back and figure out what I was doing at the time I made changes... 
What I was referring to was HarryMann's post where he was suggesting that the T3 diesels were different than a T3 gas design for the floorpan.  If there is more info on this, I'd like to see it.
1.9 Turbo Diesel (AAZ)

Reply #173October 26, 2009, 02:46:52 pm

HarryMann

• Junior

« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2009, 02:46:52 pm »
Having a 'proper' (ex-factory) diesel Vanagon Doka, I can say that this isn't a reason for the high oil temps, IMHO.

But the cooling flow to the water radiator up front, must have worth some difference, for VW to go to some considerable trouble changing the cab floorpan.

I'll try to find some piccies, which may not be easy to illustrate the difference; however, suffice to say that the flat pressing for the gearchange tunnel is maybe 1ft wider... I'll try to measure up against my petrol panelvan, width and depth differences...

Also, suffice to say, it won't be possible to change a petrol one without a considerable amount of effort, and probably just not worth it, have never heard of anyone doing this..

Reply #174October 26, 2009, 06:27:54 pm

HarryMann

• Junior

« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2009, 06:27:54 pm »

What might be worth investigating is a large capacity electric pump up front, to assist the general flow around the system ?

That's assuming you already have a large (say 25 row/pass) oil cooler up front (in front of bottom of rad) with large (1/2 ~ 3/4") hoses giving a useful increase in total oil capacity. One of those takes away a fair amount of heat in itself.

It may be that the different floorpan was connected to the much more powerful fan on the Diesel (440/550W?), which perhaps didn't make enough difference without the floorpan mods.

It's also possible a decent air-dam might improve radiator flow too.

Reply #175October 26, 2009, 07:12:43 pm

witoke

• Junior

« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2009, 07:12:43 pm »
Interesting discussion, my mechanic mentioned installing an electric water pump from another VW (Corrodo, I think) to try to boost cooling. I am still waiting for the van to come back with the rebuilt turbo installed so I can start testing cooling again. I will post any results I get.

And yup, I do have a front mount oil cooler with 1/2 inch hoses but I loose oil pressure when the oil gets hot. If I disconnect the cooler OP stays high. Any suggestions?

Reply #176October 26, 2009, 09:19:34 pm

blackdogvan

• Veteran

« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2009, 09:19:34 pm »
Interesting discussion, my mechanic mentioned installing an electric water pump from another VW (Corrodo, I think) to try to boost cooling. I am still waiting for the van to come back with the rebuilt turbo installed so I can start testing cooling again. I will post any results I get.

And yup, I do have a front mount oil cooler with 1/2 inch hoses but I loose oil pressure when the oil gets hot. If I disconnect the cooler OP stays high. Any suggestions?

I've always been wary of asking my oil pump to push the oil a extra 20'. As for options page 7 of this thread has a nice example.
1991 Vanagon 1.9 mTDI

Reply #177October 26, 2009, 10:18:47 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2009, 10:18:47 pm »
I just added a fan to the cooler on page 7, controlled by a thermostatic switch in the oil flow. First I tried adding a small wing to draw more air into the vent and through the cooler but I actually got less airflow through there than without the wing.

I've yet to test it any more than a quick run up the hill outside of town. I need to get out on the highway for an hour or so to see if there's any difference...

Oh - I also bought a second fan for the intercooler, to be installed once I figure out how I want to control it.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #178October 27, 2009, 06:53:33 pm

wildenbeast

• Junior

• The WILDENBEAST
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2009, 06:53:33 pm »
Provided the radiator is in decent condition, the weak link is always getting the heat out of the engine and to the radiator.

I know that the European TDs came with an auxiliary coolant pump (inline at the oil cooler) which was thermostatically controlled.  Has anyone tried this?  Results?
1.9 Turbo Diesel (AAZ)

Reply #179October 27, 2009, 08:45:26 pm

Vanagoner

• Junior

« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2009, 08:45:26 pm »
Andrew, If an external oil cooler is present, would it work to by-pass the sandwich cooler in the summer?  For example, route it thru a small radiator (motorcycle) and back to the block instead of thru the oil?
Sage
'82  Vanagon Westy, the mighty N/A

S-PAutomotive.com