S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Vanagon progress  (Read 63625 times)

Reply #60June 15, 2008, 09:17:48 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Vanagon progress
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2008, 09:17:48 pm »
Quote from: "vanagonturbo"
My pyrometer is rather erratic too. I talked to Autometer about this and they said that due to the length of wire from the probe to the gauge that interference is very possible.

That's not very promising. I think I'll call Autometer tomorrow to see if I can get a different diagnosis. I'll call my auto electric buddy too, he needs his cage rattled every now and again anyway.

Running a ground direct to the battery helped a bunch but it's still not good. I'm afraid that I'll have to keep switching my lights off at night to get an accurate gauge reading.

Taking the headlights off the main power wire now causes about .3v drop at the fuse panel, on top of about .3v nominal drop with just the engine running.

I need my parts to come for the intercooler piping so I can focus on something else for a while and stop thinking about throwing in the towel.

Anyone have a good picture of the aluminum Saab IC, specifically of how it mounts at the in/out end? Some bozo always has to outbid me on ebay so I can't seem to get my hands on one of my very own.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #61June 16, 2008, 12:05:56 am

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Vanagon progress
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2008, 12:05:56 am »
Thanks Andrew -

I think the plastic IC has that hole too but it also has a big rubber encased sleeve up above the tank for mounting. I was curious if they'd be directly interchangeable but certainly not if I build the mount to the plastic IC and use the AL IC instead.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #62June 19, 2008, 08:59:47 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Vanagon progress
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2008, 08:59:47 pm »
Nothing major - my "intercooler piping kit" arrived today, after I had to be mean to the local UPS guys. I really need to find a 1-7/8 to 2" reducer because the 2" hump hose is too big for the intake elbow at the manifold, otherwise this was pretty straight-forward. I have to schedule some time with my welder that I loaned out for final assembly and it'd be nice to find someone that can roll a little lip in the 2" stainless for hose retention.

Chris

Edit - pay no mind to the grass on the carpet - that means I need to vacuum before the girlfriend gets home!

'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #63July 31, 2008, 11:24:08 pm

captainpartytime

• User+

Vanagon progress
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2008, 11:24:08 pm »
How's the build coming Chris?
-Kerry

1982 Diesel Westfalia Vanagon
1989 Wolfsburg 7-Passenger Vanagon

Reply #64August 01, 2008, 12:31:36 am

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Vanagon progress
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2008, 12:31:36 am »
Somewhat stalled -

Last weekend I finally got the turbo braced to the block so I don't have to worry so much about ripping the exhaust manifold off. It's similar in design to the JX brace, different in execution.

About 4 hours ago I scored an aluminum SAAB intercooler off Ebay for a nice price so that project might get some more steam. Girlfriend will be here for August so i have to devote my attention in her direction - don't expect much until she goes to school in September.

My top secret custom driver's side engine mount project got kicked to the curb when a buddy quoted me better than $400 for some machine work - that kinda stuff really stings when that's my career of choice without a shop to work in. My buddy down in Irvine agreed to do the work for me, I just need to get off my seat and ship the pieces to him. This is part of the intercooler project, indirectly, since it'll open up the turbo inlet for a straight shot for intake piping.

Still chapped at the pyrometer issue. I think I'm stuck with accepting it or swapping to a different gauge (that won't match the sweet Fast & Furious Autometer boost gauge) - form over function is winning right now, at least I can monitor EGT between bass hits on the sub...

Otherwise not much driving. I have a work car that covers the commute & fuel and for casual ripping on the mean streets of Lone Pine I tend to choose the Caddy. It's just too hot to use the Westy right now - waiting for hot tub season to come around again.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #65August 03, 2008, 04:04:05 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Vanagon progress
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2008, 04:04:05 pm »
Guess what - hot tub season is upon us! We took the van up for a last minute trip to the Benton music festival (somewhat ambitious with calling it a "festival") and stayed the night at Benton hot springs.

More boost oddities - 15 psi when we left home then I noticed a max of about 11.5 psi after about 75 miles. My boost controller is a little different, using a spring loaded ball valve for "coarse" adjustment and a bleed hole for "fine". I locktighted both adjustment screws (simple socket head grub screws in a threaded aluminum block) and the fine adjustment is solidly glued in place. The coarse screw was easy enough to turn so maybe that one backed off or the spring settled some (questionable materials).

Economy was good - 28.6 mpg on this most recent tank.

Even at the beginning of August, the hot tub was perfect! It got surprisingly cold after midnight, too making for a nice sunrise soak...

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #66August 08, 2008, 09:57:00 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Vanagon progress
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »
Quote from: "Luckypabst"

More boost oddities - 15 psi when we left home then I noticed a max of about 11.5 psi after about 75 miles.
Economy was good - 28.6 mpg on this most recent tank.

Sticky wastegate. All is well with it cranked down tight. 18psi blows the little rubber boot off the boost gauge T-fitting - Autometer might like to re-engineer that.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #67August 31, 2008, 01:06:44 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Vanagon progress
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2008, 01:06:44 pm »
Finally some progress and a scare...

We headed down here to the coast for the weekend, about 250 miles each way. 80 miles in, climbing out of Indian Wells Valley at 110 degrees, boost dropped from a steady 13 psi to 3 psi. We pulled over to check but there was nothing obvious and the turbo sounded just fine so we motored on. Holding 65 required only slightly more effort (7/8 pedal vs. 2/3 pedal) and it seemed to still have good boost but maybe no enrichment. Next day, this is what I found:

I've been unimpressed so far with the Autometer boost gauge (mechanical). Next time I'll splurge for the electric gauge. Why make a gauge that's good for 20 psi but the tube adapter shoots off at 15 psi, then blows up at even less?

The fix:

One thing I noticed is that the engine likes 65 mph much better than 55 - I think the gearing is just a bit too long and tends to lug the engine at 55 in 4th. Now that I know an indicated 80mph = 65, I won't worry so much...

The intercooler mount and piping is worked out. I still need to re-route the intake piping before I can install the IC, but I'm getting closer.

The rear IC mount:

As viewed through the taillight cavity:

Finished front mount/cover plate:

Viewed from underneath (I will add a shroud here to deflect rocks and to improve the draw-through vacuum effect):
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #68August 31, 2008, 11:42:52 pm

captainpartytime

• User+

Vanagon progress
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2008, 11:42:52 pm »
Nice!!! How about making a couple extra mounts??? :)
-Kerry

1982 Diesel Westfalia Vanagon
1989 Wolfsburg 7-Passenger Vanagon

Reply #69September 03, 2008, 07:03:28 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Vanagon progress
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2008, 07:03:28 pm »
I do have the plans to knock out a pile of those - I'd like to wait until my production facility situation improves though...

More parts arrived today - not pictured is the thermostat controlled (Volvo) oil cooler adapter:

I need to hook up the oil temp gauge and make a control run up the highway and back before installing the oil cooler - I want to delete the oil to water cooler, at least until winter and I want to monitor any improvement with just the oil to air cooler.

This will go in front of the right taillight, with the floor cut out on that side for airflow, similar to the intercooler setup. The battery may or may not get moved at some point.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #70September 03, 2008, 07:14:34 pm

Baxter

Vanagon progress
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2008, 07:14:34 pm »
S'funny, my Atlantic much prefers 80mph than 70, it goes all quiet and everything, it just seems happy at 80, so thats where it sits!
Mine's going in today... well, 1/2 way in!
yip!
:)

Reply #71September 03, 2008, 07:36:37 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Vanagon progress
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2008, 07:36:37 pm »
That looks great Baxter!

Do you have any more of those TD Vanagon intake boots kicking around? Napa seems to be out this week...

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #72September 04, 2008, 03:54:31 pm

Baxter

Vanagon progress
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2008, 03:54:31 pm »
I'm not exactly sure which bit you mean?

Reply #73September 04, 2008, 05:13:38 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

Vanagon progress
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2008, 05:13:38 pm »
Quote from: "Luckypabst"

Viewed from underneath (I will add a shroud here to deflect rocks and to improve the draw-through vacuum effect):

Thats similar to how I set up my oil cooler, but mine is "sealed" to the bottom of the D-pillar so all the air comiing down the d-pillar has to go through the oil cooler, or into the intake, here are some pics.

From the engine compartment,

Through the tail light, the shiny part is the oil cooler, the dull aluminum is a plate I made to block off the opening in the back.

And here is apic of the "extention" I made into the wheel well so the cooler would fit,

And the extension from the bottom,

Reply #74September 04, 2008, 05:51:10 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Vanagon progress
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2008, 05:51:10 pm »
Nice! I like the sealed effect there for maximum efficiency. Did you also delete the OEM oil cooler? There's been so much discussion lately about oil cooling capacity that it has me worried about things. Oh - looks like no aux. fan either?

Ultimately I'll have the air intake snaking in above the oil cooler but will mostly seal off that right side cubby hole like I did on the left to force as much air through the cooler when tooling down the highway.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Fixmyvw.com