S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: just put motor in.. wanted to know how hard hand cranking should be...?  (Read 1600 times)

June 18, 2010, 03:29:58 pm

goon

• User+

just put a 1.6na in my caddy previous owner said it ran good.. wanted to make sure the timing was right before i turned the key(just to make sure rather not put a new head and head gasket on it) its turns really smooth and then all of a sudden it just stops.. is this because of the compression or do you think its hitting valves..?

Reply #1June 18, 2010, 04:58:55 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
If you hold it where it stopped can you hear the compression escaping? Once it stops escaping is it easy to turn for a bit again?

If it's a dead stop then there is a problem.
Tyler

Reply #2June 18, 2010, 05:12:35 pm

goon

• User+

dead stop.. timing is off( it was my fault thought i could get tricky and use marks) but the good news is nothing is bent..
anyone in the mass area that has the tools to time this?... ill pay for your time..

Reply #3June 18, 2010, 08:16:26 pm

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

I just retimed my motor using the crank mark, a 3"brass door hinge (go to the local hardware store) and a deep well socket.  you will still need a dial indicator though to finish the job (correctly).  static timing and dialing it in are two different things. 

Reply #4June 19, 2010, 08:32:40 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
i can do it with the crank mark and a socket int he pump, cam doesn't seem to ever move much,  how ever its definitely better to lock the cam and take the cam gear off and then tighten it once everything else is tight, its easier and it gets ur timing dead on.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

S-PAutomotive.com