Author Topic: 02J Tranny with Peloquin Differential  (Read 5674 times)

Reply #15April 04, 2008, 10:55:10 am

Justin

• Veteran

02J Tranny with Peloquin Differential
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 10:55:10 am »
what is difficult about it? if you have the correct flywheel and pressure plate to bolt onto the crankshaft then bolt the transmission up. if you made a new side trans mount then it would need to shift to the drivers side about 2 inches to get in the MK1 mounting hole. then a different pattern on the rear trans mount (I redrilled my MK1 mount) 100 mm CV's with stock MK1 axles (I did have to separate the ball joint from the hub to get the passenger side axle in since its a little tight but does have the travel necessary to work just fine. then remove the old clutch pedal, bolt up a new hydraulic clutch pedal to the firewall (its a little tricky and the placement will be a little off but it works just fine, add a fluid resivior.

then get the shift cable box, remove all of the guards and such from underneath with the old shifter setup, cut a larger hole for the shift box to fit up in, drill some holes, add a piece of plate steel across the box to clamp it to the tunnel and bolt it in. hook up the cables and the stock shift boot goes right over the new shifter like it was meant to be.

Like I said if you have the parts then its pretty straight forward. I bought the cables, trans and pedal all from the same car so it helped a lot having all of the correct parts.

later
jkeiffer
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump

Reply #16April 04, 2008, 11:19:46 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

02J Tranny with Peloquin Differential
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 11:19:46 am »
Yeap...the biggest deal honestly (and/or) the biggest difference between swapping the 02a/j style trans between an mk2 and a mk1 is the requirement to fab or buy mounts for the mk1...whereas with the mk2, its fairly bolt in as long as you get the right mounts.

DA-BRT on here and WRD USA sells the 02a mounts...or you can fab them yourself (for MK1).  I now have the plans for the most part for both of the mounts...

For MK2...its a matter of sourcing the right bits from a 02a equipped b3 or 'rado and going to town in working to do the swap. Its honestly...not that hard.

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )