Author Topic: How important is cam timing?  (Read 2282 times)

June 12, 2017, 02:05:29 am

oblique

• Veteran

How important is cam timing?
« on: June 12, 2017, 02:05:29 am »
Set my timing up with a new pump and injectors but couldn't get the cam sprocket bolt loose and it was probably about a degree off when I set the tension... Does accurate cam timing affect engine performance much?

Thanks in 'advance' lol

Reply #1June 12, 2017, 08:31:33 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: How important is cam timing?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:31:33 am »
yes
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2June 12, 2017, 08:58:04 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:58:04 am »
+1

Getting the sprocket loose is not always easy, but vital.

Here's how I do it:
    Use an adjustable wrench to hold a cam lobe. Do NOT use the cam-plate to hold the camshaft.
    Loosen the bolt ~ .75"
    Use a two-jaw puller to put moderate tension on the sprocket.
    Rap the back side of the sprocket sharply with a punch, as close to the hub as you can, away from the engine. (There may be a small hole in the tin for access.)

(not my pix)

Reply #3June 12, 2017, 11:18:49 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 11:18:49 pm »
YIKES   A tool on the face of the Cam Lobe.  How dare you!   Take him out back and Whack him

I have heard of this method and thought it wasn't the way to go.  Now granted you are flat surface on flat surface but why risk that surface at all.  Reach into the tool box and get a large sized vice grip pliers and clamp it on the shaft of the cam in between the lobes.  If it moves you are not going to bugger anything up that way. 

Just the way I like to do it.   I have had my cam pulley off so many times it takes but a touch with a punch not and it pops right off.  I did clean the bevel nose and the inside of the pulley area the first time I took it off with some steel wool and got it looking shiny again.  But yes a bugger to pop years ago.

Reply #4June 13, 2017, 12:02:37 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 12:02:37 pm »
Best tool is a pulley counter hold tool, I have a cheap one that does the job. Has two fingers that go in the holes in the sprocket. I would use a crescent wrench on a cam lobe before I'd use vice grips any day though - the cam lobes are hardened. Any marks you put on the shaft between lobes with vice grips can easily turn in to stress risers leading to a cracked cam.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #5June 17, 2017, 02:07:32 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 02:07:32 am »
If you are within 1/4" on the flywheel and the engine turns over freely I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think it was Dr Diesel who said slightly (advanced? retarded?) cam timing gave a small performance boost.

I had a pulley once that I had to cut off. I don't know what they torqued it to but none of the normal methods worked for removing it. In fact, the toothed part of it broke from the center section. It was an ALH. I doubt yours is that bad though.
Tyler

Reply #6July 17, 2017, 04:37:21 pm

oblique

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 04:37:21 pm »
End up using a motionpro clutch tool I had for Honda CBR build I did years ago. Fit between the sprocket teeth perfectly.

Then we used the small hole in the metal plate to tap on the sprocket from in different places from behind (as suggested) as we rotated it and it eventually popped off. Not sure if its the adjustment to pump timing we made (went from 1.03 back to 1.00) but the motor sounds different now. Will be swapping to T3 turbo soon to hopefully solve the insane smoking at WOT.

Fixmyvw.com