Author Topic: It's finally running  (Read 4179 times)

April 17, 2005, 06:58:42 pm

watsongs

• Junior

It's finally running
« on: April 17, 2005, 06:58:42 pm »
Well, I swapped out the IP with another used one, and what do you know, it actually runs!  Smoking white smoke, not too much (when idling the air is clear about 3 feet from the exhaust), but enough to let it clear before I open the door to the house.  It seems like it has a problem sucking enough fuel. though - it won't really rev until I squeeze the primer bulb, and then it's a rough revving.  I'm going to get the pump timed tommorrow.  Then it's on to fixing the electrical stuff - light bulbs, etc.  

Oh, almost forgot - it's leaking oil out of where the dipstic enter the block.  Any ideas?

Greg Watson
'79 Rabbit, 1.5 liters of fun...
If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers...

Reply #1April 17, 2005, 07:13:26 pm

leprechan

• Junior

It's finally running
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 07:13:26 pm »
Glad to hear that you got it running.  There is an O-ring between the block and the dipstick tube that may need to be replaced.  Good luck

Nick
91' Jetta 1.6na, Monster Power!

Reply #2April 18, 2005, 07:54:44 am

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: It's finally running
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 07:54:44 am »
It seems like it has a problem sucking enough fuel. though - it won't really rev until I squeeze the primer bulb, and then it's a rough revving.

look for leaks in the feed line.  I bet there are a few.  It won't run properly if it's sucking air anywhere.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #3April 18, 2005, 10:28:07 am

watsongs

• Junior

It's finally running
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 10:28:07 am »
I suspected that, although I can't see air bubbles anywhere; although it could be the shaft seal on the pump.  I'm going to try and free up the old pump to see if A) I can figure out how it works, and B) get it working w/the right seals for when I goi bio.  Or, I'll make some artwork out of it...
Greg Watson
'79 Rabbit, 1.5 liters of fun...
If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers...

Reply #4April 18, 2005, 07:13:34 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

It's finally running
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 07:13:34 pm »
Quote from: "watsongs"
I suspected that, although I can't see air bubbles anywhere; although it could be the shaft seal on the pump.  I'm going to try and free up the old pump to see if A) I can figure out how it works, and B) get it working w/the right seals for when I goi bio.  Or, I'll make some artwork out of it...

artwork, definately.  I'm still planning my bio conversion for the jetta, but i have to come up with a way of heating the injector lines (metal ones) because the veggie oil sits in there for a long time before it is injected and cools down.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Fixmyvw.com