Author Topic: KKK K03 hybrid turbo questions  (Read 5855 times)

May 31, 2004, 06:55:39 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

KKK K03 hybrid turbo questions
« on: May 31, 2004, 06:55:39 pm »
I was just comparing the KKK K03 that is on my A3 1.9tdi engine vs a KKK K03 that came off of a passat 1.8T and I noticed that the compressor side of the passat K03 is noticeably bigger. Is it worth swapping out the tdi compressor for the gas compressor/housing? The turbine side looks the same to the naked eye. I haven't disassembled them yet. Also is it a could idea to swap out bearing housings. The gas version is also water cooled for extra protection. I would just swap out the turbine housing sections if the turbines are the same and bam more boost.

Reply #1May 31, 2004, 07:09:32 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

• http://www.geocities.com/dean16v/Page_One.html
KKK K03 hybrid turbo questions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 07:09:32 pm »
the way the tdi is stock it has full boost at 1900 rpm. if you switch to the bigger one(passat ko3) you will loose the 1900 rpm full boost. it is going to be in the 2300-2500 range. the reason the tdi housing is smaller is because the redline is 4500 so they wanted boost earlier so you can have usable power, if you put the passat ko3 on you will run out of rpm before the full boost would be reached. in first gear this would show up as massive turbo lag. the higher gears would not be as noticable.
86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!
Cummins has the worlds record for being the most efficient engine ever!!!!!
for converting fuel into noise!