Author Topic: WTB - brackets and pulleys for Alt w/o A/C  (Read 4993 times)

Reply #15January 05, 2010, 10:17:44 am

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

• Erupt into a BEVRAGE this summer with Glug!
Re: WTB - brackets and pulleys for Alt w/o A/C
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 10:17:44 am »
Well, I think the GAP and Advance alternators come with pulleys.  I am going to swing by a buddy of mines house and check out what the difference is between AC and W/o AC.  I would like to get the W/o AC pulley and the W/ AC alternator so I can have 90 Amps vice 65 Amps.

as far as mk 2 cars, there is only one 90 amp alternator, and that is the one for AC equipped cars. You could rig one to work with this bracket without the AC in there but you would have to make a funky L shaped slide bracket and you'd end up with a very long v belt to turn it. Keep it simple and get a 65 amp non AC alternator with the correct drive pulley. BTW, when you remove the AC comp from your Jetta can I get the steel bushing from inside the timing belt side mounting ear?  :-*
Look, if corn and kudzu fall in love and have a baby in a lab under the supervision of scientists working in my employ, WHO AM I TO STOP THAT other than the CEO responsible for stopping it???

My Bio

Reply #16January 06, 2010, 04:57:23 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 04:57:23 am »
An "L" bracket on a 90 amp will work and it's not that funky.
 Or at least there are other adjusters that are funkier, like the setup on my Golf  :):

..and with a little grinding the alternator will rotate down far enough to keep the belt short.

uhhhh...ok.
Not sure what this meant.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #17January 06, 2010, 05:53:08 am

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 05:53:08 am »
I've made a setup like that before and for me it was a PITA, but hey whatever floats your boat. I don't know why anyone without AC would care if they were going from 65 to 90 amps unless they were running a mobile DJ service or a couple of veggietherms in a grease system. Where did you get the pulley that's on the alt in the pic?
Look, if corn and kudzu fall in love and have a baby in a lab under the supervision of scientists working in my employ, WHO AM I TO STOP THAT other than the CEO responsible for stopping it???

My Bio

Reply #18January 06, 2010, 10:44:30 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 10:44:30 pm »
I went to a local alternator/starter rebuild shop, told him the offset and belt width.
 Only pully long enough was a double pully.
 I think it's normally for a '93-95 ford truck,.. guess I should check my dad's Ranger and see if it's the same.
 The main reason for me using the 90 amp AC alternator was; it came with the car and I didn't want to buy another one.
 Same reason for cobbling the adjuster brackets,.. I had them around
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #19January 06, 2010, 10:49:57 pm

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 10:49:57 pm »
I went to a local alternator/starter rebuild shop, told him the offset and belt width.
 Only pully long enough was a double pully.
 I think it's normally for a '93-95 ford truck,.. guess I should check my dad's Ranger and see if it's the same.
 The main reason for me using the 90 amp AC alternator was; it came with the car and I didn't want to buy another one.
 Same reason for cobbling the adjuster brackets,.. I had them around

that does look like an ok setup, especially if it didn't cost much out of your pocket. That's the same reason I did one like that, at the time all I had was an AC alt. I didn't grind the bracket cause I didn't want to get into removing it from the motor as it was quite cold then. It did work but it was hokee as hell and took a long belt. Anyways, I have that exact same cast iron bracket and the steel slide adjuster bracket that came with it if anyone wants it. I have a 90 amp AC alternator too but the pulley and the voltage regulator are missing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:03:07 pm by ilikevwdiesel »

My Bio