S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: '91 Jetta 1.6 turbo diesel questions (no fuel)  (Read 4062 times)

February 21, 2008, 08:04:15 pm

tractors101

'91 Jetta 1.6 turbo diesel questions (no fuel)
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:04:15 pm »
Hello, I am new to the whole world of VW diesels and have some questions. I recently picked up a '91 Jetta with a 1.6 turbo diesel (it says ecodiesel if that matters), and have been trying to get it running. From what I know about the car it has been sitting for a little while, apparantly it had a problem and thats why it was parked. Everything so far seems to be ok on the engine, but it is not getting fuel. The car came with a Chilton manual which has not been any help, can anyone tell me if this car has a in-tank fuel pump, a in-line fuel pump, or does the injection pump itself have a pump on it? I'm familiar with many small diesel engines used on equipment, and they usually have a low pressure in-line pump to get the fuel to the injection pump. I'm just confused on this because I can't find a pump anywhere and the injection pump is not drawing the fuel into it by itself. The fuel shut-off solenoid is working correctly by the way. If the injection pump is supposed to draw the fuel and it is not drawing the fuel, is there a diaphram in the pump that commonly goes bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm having a hard time finding any info on this engine. Thanks!    

Mark

Reply #1February 21, 2008, 11:35:44 pm

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:35:44 pm »
There is a vane pump inside the injection pump. The vanes can get stuck, or if there are any air leaks between it and the tank, it won't suck fuel. If you put a clear line on the fitting on the IP where the return goes, you can try sucking on it to prime everything. You may then need to crack the injector lines at the injectors and crank it over until you see fuel at each injector.
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

Reply #2February 22, 2008, 06:50:07 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:50:07 pm »
Also check the fuel filter isn't blocked with crap. Classic death for the vane pump in the injection pump is fuel cavitation destroying the vanes. Fuel filters are cheap, at least compared to dead injection pumps. Possibly the previous owner has already done the research on this.  :?  Air leaks also will cause grief, wiping a good glob of Hylomar (or Yank equivalent) at pipe joins between the tank & pump may assist. Thoroughly cleaning one of the fuel pipe banjos on the pump, unscrew it and fill the pump with FRESH CLEAN ATF and letting it sit for a couple of days could help free the vanes up. Cleanliness is Godliness when you open anything on a diesel pump.

Reply #3February 22, 2008, 06:52:52 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 06:52:52 pm »
Just to clarify, wipe Hylomar AROUND the pipe joins WITHOUT taking them apart. :wink:

Reply #4February 25, 2008, 01:52:59 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:52:59 am »
I had a injector pump that would sorta run the engine on a few cylinders for a little while, when I took it apart the vanes were stuck. Maybe try putting an inline fuel pump in, it would have to be a high flow one.  Another way to fill the pump is by blowing on the return line 'till yer blue in the face. :mrgreen:
Also, a bently manual is WAY better than chilton.
An ecodiesel is a turbo diesel with a cat and without the boost enrichment, so it has 59hp instead of 68hp. Good luck :)
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN