S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Any way to get rid of integral wastegate on 1.6 TD turbo?  (Read 3449 times)

May 31, 2004, 12:32:59 am

Angry Tape

Any way to get rid of integral wastegate on 1.6 TD turbo?
« on: May 31, 2004, 12:32:59 am »
Well...I figure the best way to raise the boost on the TD would be to get a turbo that I can use an external wastegate with and not worry about bleed orfices in boost lines to trick the factory wastegate on the TD.  Any places sell or other cars I could cannabalize to get rid of the factory wastegate?  Also...what is the factory A/R for the factory Garrett turbo?

Reply #1May 31, 2004, 01:42:42 am

Spike_TDI

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 01:42:42 am »
Unplug the lines going to the wastegate. If it doesn't see any boost it can't open. The stock Garrett exhaust turbine A/R is .36

Reply #2June 02, 2004, 03:25:22 am

kens84quantumtd

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 03:25:22 am »
Unless the valve is a little eaten up. or the springs are a little worn, then exaust gas could be leaking past it, and forcing it open. I suspected a problem with mine, So I diconnected it from the boost, and hooked it up to the vacumm pump, I figured it could not hurt, and it might help the valve stay shut, if it was cracking open under high boost. If you are making 15lbs of boost then there has to be at least 15 Lbs of exaust pressure behind that valve. It seemed to build boost faster with it set this way. Could be in my head though. The diaphram in the can is holding the vacuum just fine, no leaks I can find.

Might try it. Cant hurt.

Ken

S-PAutomotive.com