Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Starter woes on my Mk 1 Bunny  (Read 5071 times)

April 01, 2005, 08:24:41 pm

Red Rabbit

• Junior

Starter woes on my Mk 1 Bunny
« on: April 01, 2005, 08:24:41 pm »
84 TD Rabbit (U.S. built), doesn't crank at all. Tried a different battery, tried boosting, no crank at all.  Battery connections all tight.  Ground to chassis and tranny is good. All other electricals function OK(lights etc). Is there a fuse and or relay that is part of the starter circuit....could anyone tell me the fuse position or number ...might as well check the easiest  fix before digging any further....

No I am NOT in denial!!!!!

Reply #1April 01, 2005, 09:14:08 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: Starter woes on my Mk 1 Bunny
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 09:14:08 pm »
Quote from: "Red Rabbit"
84 TD Rabbit (U.S. built), doesn't crank at all. Tried a different battery, tried boosting, no crank at all.  Battery connections all tight.  Ground to chassis and tranny is good. All other electricals function OK(lights etc). Is there a fuse and or relay that is part of the starter circuit....could anyone tell me the fuse position or number ...might as well check the easiest  fix before digging any further....

The starter relay is the solenoid I think.  That is where the small wires are connected.  Big wire goes from starter to battery.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #2April 02, 2005, 04:51:19 am

dieselpower

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 04:51:19 am »
when you turn the key can you hear the starter solenoid click? if not it could be the ignition. try to use a different switch and see if that works, or using some wire, jump the starter to the battery directly under the hood and see if that works, if not pull the starter and see if you can find anything wrong with it.

good luck

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #3April 02, 2005, 07:43:55 am

Red Rabbit

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 07:43:55 am »
Thanks for the info.....................

Reply #4April 02, 2005, 05:28:45 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 05:28:45 pm »
First off - make sure your battery is charged (IE: headlights should go on with their usual expected brightness)

If you've got voltage... test your starter with the following steps:

1. get a wire at least a couple feet long and crimp a standard female spade terminal onto one end of it.  On the other end, strip some insulation off, exposing bare wires.
2. put your transmission in neutral and set the e-brake securely.
3. open the hood, and pull the little spade terminal wire off of your starter.  Install the wire you made in it's place.
4. standing to the side of the car for safety, touch the bare wires to the battery positive terminal.

what happened?
  * If the starter spins the engine over: problem is in your ignition switch circuit.  Might need to replace your ignition switch itself (electrical switch behind the lock cylinder where you put your key.)

...if the starter doesn't spin the engine over, continue with next step:

5. try electrically bridging the 2 big studs sticking out of the starter solenoid together with something conductive like a screwdriver, etc, taking care not to short it to ground, as it could make a very big and also cause the battery to explode.

* If this makes the starter motor spin: there is a problem in your starter solenoid.  It might only need cleaning and lubrication, but may also need to be replaced with new.  To remove it from the starter, you need to first remove the starter from the engine, and then there are 3 big phillips screws holding the solenoid that are easy to strip - recommend using an impact driver rather than a standard screwdriver to avoid stripping them.

* If the starter motor doesn't spin: there is a problem with the electric motor inside the starter.  It needs to be replaced or rebuilt (starter disassembled and inspected, armature turned, brushes replaced, and bushings replaced and/or regreased.)

Be weary of rebuilt starter quality - there are some VERY poor quality rebuilt starters on the market!  I bought a NAPA rebuilt starter that was really, really crappy - it had a 2.5 volt drop across the solenoid (should have virtually zero volts dropping here), the brushes were used and although long enough to pass the minimum spec, they were deformed and misshapen where they wear against the armature and where they rub against the brush holders, the starter had it's original bushings, and it also was missing a fiber gasket that is meant to keep grease out of the brushes.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #5April 02, 2005, 05:35:16 pm

Red Rabbit

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 05:35:16 pm »
More great info....thanks Jake, will update when I've isolated the problem........

Reply #6April 02, 2005, 09:08:37 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 09:08:37 pm »
Quote from: "Red Rabbit"

watch if you're taking the starter out.  On some of those cars the starter is part of the front engine mount and the engine will drop down when you remove it.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #7April 03, 2005, 07:54:20 pm

Red Rabbit

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 07:54:20 pm »
Problem solved....my VW buddy came over and after hearing my symptoms, took a rubber mallet and tapped the starter .....voila...she cranked over.....apparently the the starter's drive pinion was stuck....I'm told this can happen if you try to start it with a very weak battery (which I had done), anyways , long story short, Red Rabbit lives......

Reply #8April 04, 2005, 02:58:32 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 02:58:32 pm »
Quote from: "chrissev"

watch if you're taking the starter out.  On some of those cars the starter is part of the front engine mount and the engine will drop down when you remove it.

On A1s the front mount does not support the weight of the engine like they do on A2s.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits