Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: auto tranny  (Read 3404 times)

May 31, 2004, 12:29:04 am

dieseltech

• Junior

• http://www.geocities.com/dean16v/Page_One.html
auto tranny
« on: May 31, 2004, 12:29:04 am »
anybody got a auto tranny for a 1.6l td for sale?
i want to put a auto in my work car, i do alot of city driving and the 5 speed with a hd clutch is a bit anoying in traffic.
btw how is the td with an auto, slow? i would think it would be nice cause the turbo never goes out of boost range and no turbo lag!!.
what kind of rpm do they turn at 65-70 mph?

i have only seen a td auto never drove one as they are quite rare, but i have drivin a rabbit diesel auto, and boy was it the slowest car ever?

thanks

86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!
Cummins has the worlds record for being the most efficient engine ever!!!!!
for converting fuel into noise!

Reply #1May 31, 2004, 09:02:28 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

auto tranny
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 09:02:28 am »
i've always thought turbo and automagic go well together. Never tried it on a diesel though. probably would work well enough!
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2May 31, 2004, 07:26:57 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

auto tranny
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 07:26:57 pm »
i remember a coustomer of mine used to drive an auto td jetta. he said it was an 87. anyway i never drove it, he brought it to me for inspections, he did his own work on it but from what i remember he said it was quite fast, faster than his wifes 86 golf auto gasser. to bad he sold it to some stupid *** kid down the road who killed himself trying to uproot a tree with the jetta in the rain. he musta been movin.
 jeff (my coustomer) bought a new tdi when he sold that car, now he wishes he never sold it, said it was reliable unlike his tdi :lol:  oh well
maybe one day i will find one.
thanks
86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!

Reply #3May 31, 2004, 07:30:26 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

auto tranny
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 07:30:26 pm »
oh btw i was reading the bently manual. they say the auto tranny torque converter has an "x" stamped on a tab welded to it but they dont say if the tranny is the same as a gasser by the look of the pic in the book it looks different.