Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Fuel cut solenoid question  (Read 2561 times)

March 25, 2005, 07:29:23 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

Fuel cut solenoid question
« on: March 25, 2005, 07:29:23 pm »
So the brass plug with one spade connector is the fuel cut solenoid, right? It just gets keyed power and is closed with no power correct?

Overview of pump,

Closeup of parts in question

What about the the barbed fitting above it that has no hose on it, what is that for? Is it a vent to the atmospher for the bottom of the boost compensation diaphram?

I never saw the motor in running condition and am getting it ready to swap it into a Quantum, it is a 2.0 Audi TD.

thanks in advance.

Reply #1March 26, 2005, 05:12:44 am

phredde

• http://www.impellerheadz.com
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 05:12:44 am »
Yup you're right about the fuel cut solenoid and you're also right about the venting.
Less Talk, More Action!

Reply #2March 26, 2005, 08:18:25 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: Fuel cut solenoid question
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 08:18:25 am »
Quote from: "jackbombay"
So the brass plug with one spade connector is the fuel cut solenoid, right? It just gets keyed power and is closed with no power correct?

Overview of pump,

What about the the barbed fitting above it that has no hose on it, what is that for? Is it a vent to the atmospher for the bottom of the boost compensation diaphram?

I never saw the motor in running condition and am getting it ready to swap it into a Quantum, it is a 2.0 Audi TD.

thanks in advance.

:twisted: I've not looked at a 2 litre TD before. I have always assumed everything Audi will drop into my Quantum; but this engine is reversed to the 1.6TD Where does your transplant finish and the recipient start?
Cheers :twisted:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #3March 26, 2005, 09:18:40 am

chrissev

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 09:18:40 am »

That is probably the vent, but I have never seen one with a barbed fitting on it.  Usually there is just a little rubber hose that comes out there.  I see your pump has cruise control and the holders for the upshift light switches (but no switches).  Are you planning on installing cruise control in your Quantum?  Upshift light switches?
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #4March 26, 2005, 08:48:51 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 08:48:51 pm »
Quote from: "phredde"
Yup you're right about the fuel cut solenoid and you're also right about the venting.

Yes! 2 for 2!

Thanks  8)

Reply #5March 26, 2005, 08:54:15 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 08:54:15 pm »
Quote from: "Mark(The Miser)UK"

:twisted: I've not looked at a 2 litre TD before. I have always assumed everything Audi will drop into my Quantum; but this engine is reversed to the 1.6TD Where does your transplant finish and the recipient start?
Cheers :twisted:

I actually have a Syncro so engine orientation is the same for both motors,  if the Quantum is a 5 banger it is far easier to swap in one of the 5 banger 2.0 TDs.

Everything really should "bolt right up". I will need to move the battery it appears to make room for the vaccum pump that is driven off the back end of the cam, and the upper radiator hose fitting from the Quantum interferes with the "Glow plug power supply bar". No issues of note so far though.

I'm taking a little break from it right now, should have the old motor out in an hour or so.

Reply #6March 26, 2005, 08:57:49 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 08:57:49 pm »
Quote from: "chrissev"
I see your pump has cruise control and the holders for the upshift light switches (but no switches).  Are you planning on installing cruise control in your Quantum?  Upshift light switches?

The cruise that is already in the Quantum is not working, but worked a year ago according to the previous owner, I would really like to get it working. If the cruise in the Quantum was working I would only have to swap the vac line over to the vac motor on the 2.0 TD.

I'll be glad to not have the upshift light working in the car. I had no idea what went in thoes holders, good to know it is something that is not necessary.

S-PAutomotive.com