Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: turbo on an '81 n/a diesel...  (Read 2694 times)

December 23, 2007, 10:23:48 pm

eightyonerabbit

• Junior

turbo on an '81 n/a diesel...
« on: December 23, 2007, 10:23:48 pm »
is it safe to just put the turbo on the stock n/a diesel?? ive been researching a little bit, and i read that you dont have to swap out the injection pump (of course there will be less power, but i figured it would be safer on EGT)... i could buy the other pump, but if i dont have to shell out the extra bucks and risk losing too many mpg's, then i dont want to... anyway, i will only be running about 5-7lbs, so would it be safe/reliable??

i have all the parts needed except the intake manifold, but i will be buying that within the next week from a guy in cali...

thanks,
-Aaron

Reply #1December 24, 2007, 01:17:44 am

AudiVWguy

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 01:17:44 am »
As you probably know the NA motors did not get the upgraded parts that the turbos received. Forged pistons, crank, oil squirters, etc. It is possible to run reasonably low boost pressures and be ok. After a boost gauge, buy an EGT asap and keep the temps as low as possible. Mount the sender in the exhaust manifold before the turbo to have accurate readings. 2.5in down pipe and exhaust is a must, cool air in very important too. Try to not let full throttle runs reach 1100 degrees F to be safe. Eventually plum in a Intercooler. What turbo are you thinking about?
Hope this helps :D
--Jeff

Reply #2December 24, 2007, 01:03:08 pm

eightyonerabbit

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 01:03:08 pm »
Quote from: "AudiVWguy"
As you probably know the NA motors did not get the upgraded parts that the turbos received. Forged pistons, crank, oil squirters, etc. It is possible to run reasonably low boost pressures and be ok. After a boost gauge, buy an EGT asap and keep the temps as low as possible. Mount the sender in the exhaust manifold before the turbo to have accurate readings. 2.5in down pipe and exhaust is a must, cool air in very important too. Try to not let full throttle runs reach 1100 degrees F to be safe. Eventually plum in a Intercooler. What turbo are you thinking about?
--Jeff

the turbo is from a mk2 TD... would i be able to use the stock injection pump? or should i go ahead and buy the td pump?

Reply #3December 24, 2007, 01:32:49 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 01:32:49 pm »
I'd use the stock pump and stock injectors (rebuilt is a good idea)

I'd just use stock stuff. You'll cut some life out of the engine but considering how long they last you probably would never notice assuming you keep EGTs in check as well as boost pressure
Tyler

Reply #4December 24, 2007, 03:31:42 pm

eightyonerabbit

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 03:31:42 pm »
Quote from: "burn_your_money"
I'd use the stock pump and stock injectors (rebuilt is a good idea)

I'd just use stock stuff. You'll cut some life out of the engine but considering how long they last you probably would never notice assuming you keep EGTs in check as well as boost pressure

do you mean the stock N/A pump or stock TD pump?? is there a way to throw in more fuel when it gets boost with the n/a pump? or just the fuel adjuster screw??

Reply #5December 24, 2007, 10:06:52 pm

rwdriver

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 10:06:52 pm »
hey, I live in Bowling Green. I go to WKU and if you ever want to stop by I always like to talk to fellow dubbers.  

in case you haven't seen:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3365508

cheers

Reply #6December 25, 2007, 11:31:27 am

eightyonerabbit

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 11:31:27 am »
Quote from: "rwdriver"
hey, I live in Bowling Green. I go to WKU and if you ever want to stop by I always like to talk to fellow dubbers.  

in case you haven't seen:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3365508

cheers

haha.... thats probably one of the coolest things ive ever seen... but yea... if i get my other project by next summer ill be heading down that way to hit the strip... ill PM u if im ever down there...

Reply #7December 25, 2007, 04:25:46 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 04:25:46 pm »
Stock NA pieces

If you turn up the fuel for boost it will also be up for off boost which will raise EGTs and smoke, that's what is nice about the turbo pump, you can controll both independantly
Tyler

Reply #8December 25, 2007, 05:45:47 pm

eightyonerabbit

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 05:45:47 pm »
Quote from: "burn_your_money"
Stock NA pieces

If you turn up the fuel for boost it will also be up for off boost which will raise EGTs and smoke, that's what is nice about the turbo pump, you can controll both independantly

im not really worried about smoke or emissions... the environment is already pretty much screwed... but the egt's do worry me... what is the highest temp that is safe?? ill be buying a gauge before the turbo goes on...

Reply #9December 26, 2007, 12:18:51 am

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 12:18:51 am »
Quote from: "AudiVWguy"
--Jeff

Wait what? I would question that which is bolded. Slight misinformation here. All that has been bolded is not correct. TDs do NOT have forged pistons (unless NAs have them too) the crank is no different (depending on the engine), and 1100 degrees is nothing (unless we are talking about Celsius temps).

HTH

Reply #10December 26, 2007, 03:40:21 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 03:40:21 pm »
So what is the limit for egt's?
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #11December 26, 2007, 07:13:37 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 07:13:37 pm »
Quote from: "rabbitman"
So what is the limit for egt's?

no body knows. the rule of thumb is below 1500 is good.  but its not like your motor will instantly explode the moment it hits that.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit