S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Piston Ring Lube  (Read 2730 times)

April 07, 2010, 10:11:59 pm

ffgb

• Junior

Piston Ring Lube
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:11:59 pm »
What are you guys using for assembling your engine and for the piston rings/cylinder?
I have Torco assembly lube for the bearings, but didn't know what everyone was using for the piston skirts and rings/cylinders?
I have heard the Total Seal has a dry lube for the pistons/cylinders, is it worth it for Grant rings?

Thanks

Reply #1April 07, 2010, 11:27:06 pm

sdwarf36

• Junior

Re: Piston Ring Lube
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:27:06 pm »
You still have to use oil-even if you use that total seal magic dust. (Which I'm not sold on-but have used it a couple of times. )
 1st-make sure you clean the cylinders very well. I use acetone on a lint free paper towel-wiping in the direction of the cross hatch-do it a few times-till the towel remains clean. Take a few drops of oil and smear it around the top inch or so of the cyl.-get some on the chamfer too. Put a few drops on the piston skirts-that all you need. Don't lube up the rings-they'll scrape what they need when you assemble.
 Someone way smarter than me once said " the best thing you can when rebuilding is duplicate running condition as soon as possible-and you never are running with your rings soaked in oil."
91 Jetta on WVO na / td swap in progress.

"VW happiness is having 4 working door handles."

Reply #2April 07, 2010, 11:36:04 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:36:04 pm »
You still have to use oil-even if you use that total seal magic dust. (Which I'm not sold on-but have used it a couple of times. )
 1st-make sure you clean the cylinders very well. I use acetone on a lint free paper towel-wiping in the direction of the cross hatch-do it a few times-till the towel remains clean. Take a few drops of oil and smear it around the top inch or so of the cyl.-get some on the chamfer too. Put a few drops on the piston skirts-that all you need. Don't lube up the rings-they'll scrape what they need when you assemble.
 Someone way smarter than me once said " the best thing you can when rebuilding is duplicate running condition as soon as possible-and you never are running with your rings soaked in oil."

I like to wash the cylinders with hot soapy water, dry 'em good, maybe wash 'em with gas too to make sure all the water's gone, and then smear oil all over it to prevent rust (we all know how long fresh rebuilt engines sit before they run).

I have always totally soaked the pistons/rings with oil, if it's too much the worst it'll do is have some oil to burn off ;D.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #3April 08, 2010, 08:46:17 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:46:17 am »
I used my assembly lube...red stuff in bottle smeared into the cross hatch. Don't know if it is correct or not but that's what it got.

Reply #4April 08, 2010, 09:32:44 am

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:32:44 am »
I've always soaked the rings as well using two stroke oil.  Two stroke oil is designed to be burned in the combustion chamber anyway.  I then turn the engine over a few times and wipe the excess oil out of the cylinder. 

I also agree with washing the cylinders out with hot soapy water and I use wd-40 after washing to remove the water from the fresh metal.  It has to be one of the best uses for wd-40.  Makes sense since the wd actually stands for water displacer.
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #5April 08, 2010, 11:40:26 am

Fisher

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:40:26 am »
I also wash the Cylinders with Soap and Water, dry them and wipe them with WD40.  When I assemble the Pistons in Cylinders I install the Rings on the Pistons dry, wipe out the Cylinders with Brake Cleaner and install the Pistons in Cylinders Brake Clean dry.  The Cylinders get all the Oil they need as soon as it fires.

Reply #6April 08, 2010, 11:52:48 am

rodpaslow

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:52:48 am »
I disagree with the last comment, but each to his own.  I've done over a dozen or so gassers & deisel and never had an issue with covering the piston and rings in oil, putting the ring compressor on and inserting them.  Once installed the engine turns over easy if needed, and any excess oil will be in the oil pan by the time you fire it up.  Metal to metal contact is never a good thing in my experience when it come to IC engines.
99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #7April 10, 2010, 11:53:10 am

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 11:53:10 am »
I hot tank the block, then when I assemble the pistons and insert them, I use a clean lint free rag and wipe the cylinders down with oil. I also drop in oil with a syringe around the edge of the pistons. I then make sure the pump is primed and the oil pan has oil in it.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #8April 10, 2010, 11:53:37 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 11:53:37 pm »
I use lots and lots and lots of normal motor oil. Try to avoid using something synthetic for initial break in purposes
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #9April 11, 2010, 12:02:18 am

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 12:02:18 am »
I totally agree with your last comment smokey eddy.  I used stp oil treatment on the first sb 350 I built and I don't think that motor ever broke in properly.  No syns for break in!
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

S-PAutomotive.com