Author Topic: Greasecar Rabbit TDI build (for real this time)  (Read 9718 times)

Reply #15January 10, 2008, 03:01:24 pm

Reply #16January 10, 2008, 04:05:14 pm

Greasecar

• Junior

• http://www.greasecar.com
Greasecar Rabbit TDI build (for real this time)
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 04:05:14 pm »
I get an error with that link. What section of the forum is it from and what date?
www.greasecar.com
79 Mini diesel (1.5 Peugeot)
82 rabbit TD (given to Junkcollector Jay)
84 rabbit TD (intercooled w/ VNT)
82 rabbit PD (undergoing swap)
01 Golf TDI (burned to the ground)
02 Golf TDI (355,000 miles and counting)
04 Passat TDI Wagon (Grocery getter)

Reply #17January 10, 2008, 05:36:40 pm

cal

• User+

Reply #18January 11, 2008, 01:59:08 pm

Greasecar

• Junior

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 01:59:08 pm »
Okay, I had to register in order to see the link. Too bad he never posted the wiring info that he mentioned.

I've heard that there are several different ECU part number sequences to match up with different years or auto vs. manual transmissions.  Has anyone heard this or should any BEW ECU work with any BEW engine once the immobilizer is dealt with?

I'm really not concerned with the mechanical part of this project, It's just the electrical that concerns me due to lack of experience and resources.  I still have to track down a BEW ECU and apparently a second engine wiring harness (I have the one that connects to fuel temp, injectors etc. apparently there is a second one that connects to the MAF, turbo and a few other things.) If anyone has any of this stuff let me know.

I have a full A4 TDI chassis harness, with matching cluster and ignition so hopefully I can get an A4 BEW ECU re-flashed to match and mate the chassis and engine wiring through it.
www.greasecar.com

Reply #19May 31, 2008, 12:14:12 pm

Greasecar

• Junior

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 12:14:12 pm »
Just a bit of an update.

No I haven't given up, just really busy with everything else.

After months of tracking down parts, receiving wrong parts and tracking down more parts I have my BEW short block together and everything else I need (as far as I know) to finish putting the engine together.  

I finally tracked down a MK 4 BEW ECU and have a MK 4 Chassis harness and BEW engine harness (still need some vac solenoids, MAF and MAP sensors)  and I need to find someone to help with the ECU tuning and deletes (Mike? TinTin?)  I have been trying to get a hold of Jeff at Rocket Chip but he seems to be quite busy.

I am also pretty far along with my MK4 dash install.  I have the dash support mocked up and temporarily installed, acc pedal installed, Mk4 column modified and installed and dash in place.  

I will be using the 02J transmission out of my salvaged Golf and had been planning on using a cable clutch conversion but have been told by someone who has done it in the past that their cable was constantly snapping.  So I am considering a hydraulic clutch but haven't found a good candidate for a master cyl/ pedal assembly.  Anyone know of a good setup to swap into a Mk1?  Currently I am looking at Corrado clutch masters and having to build a pedal assembly.

I still need a front motor mount and side and rear transmission mounts.  Joe sent me a drawing a few months back for the side tranny mount but I still need to figure out the rear and front engine mount.  I saw that WRD has a tanny mount set I just wish it wasn't $300 but that may beat 2 days of design and fabrication otherwise.  Anyone else have mounts for sale or drawings available?

I was hoping to get the car somewhat together for WaterFest but I'm moving to a new shop and just hired 5 new employees so I don't know how realistic that will be.  Any help or suggestions on the mounts would be much appriciated.
www.greasecar.com

Reply #20May 31, 2008, 12:53:16 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 12:53:16 pm »
VERY NICE Justin....i bet gas prices are keeping your business very busy!

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #21June 03, 2008, 03:59:38 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 03:59:38 pm »
Dan Bubb (J. Daniel) on VW Vortex makes 02J mounts and they are very high quality.  http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2248088

I've met the guy before and he's a real straight shooter, and his fab work is top notch.

Good luck with the build, looks like it's coming along nicely.  :)

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #22June 05, 2008, 09:16:56 am

lbreton

• Junior

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 09:16:56 am »
TinTin, VWMikel and myself are using EDC15P ECU's from an ARL/ASZ (PD150/130) It uses a 40 pin for the engine and an 80 pin for MAF, boost, TPS, Cruise, EGR, etc. You can use an ALH harness for the 80 pin side. It is almost 100% identical (with excpetion of the EGR and Flap). This gives easy tunning, immobilizer delete & egr cycle reduction. It also requires less sensor inputs.  It basically like an ALH set-up but with the pins for cam position sensor and 4 injector controls. .
'97 F250 5.9 Cummins, POD's, PDR cam, Custom Pump, Stage II Port, 14CM, blabla
'92 Passat Syncro- AHU eTDI, PP520's, 2.5 Str
'99 Audi A4 Quattro - 2.0 BHW TDI, EDC15P, GT2056V, AWIC, 5Speed Euro Tranny - 214Whp/363TQ

Reply #23June 06, 2008, 10:40:32 pm

Greasecar

• Junior

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 10:40:32 pm »
I haven't played around with ECU tuning, will I be able to get things running with my RossTech?  Is there any resource or build thread that covers the ECU programming?  I have tried to get in touch with RocketChip but haven't gotten a response.  I know Mikel was keeping his deletes etc. under wraps out of respect for those who do it as a profession.

I am using a MK 4 ignition and chassis harness and the BEW engine harness both of which, of course, fit my Mk4 BEW ECU, I just don't know how to get everything calculated and able to deal with all the missing chassis hardware.
www.greasecar.com

Reply #24June 07, 2008, 01:40:29 am

lbreton

• Junior

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 01:40:29 am »
Actually, I do think VWMikel is offering programming as a service.  I am not sure if he can offer anything for your BEW though. It would be worth your time to email him.  You can not reprogram tuning with your Rosstech vag-com or hex, but you can use it to check/clear the codes your getting and work through them till it will run right.  I don't want to sound like an expert on vag-com, as I have not even plugged mine into my ECU yet.
I have not looked through the BEW wire diagrams, so I am not much help with that one.  If it was AHU, ALH or ARL/ASZ..I could help more. All you can do is work through it one pin at a time.  Focus on the pins that are required to operate the engine.  Its good to get a handle on the pins that require grounds & +12V.  Then look at your cluster tie-inns. Then your A/C, fan and cruize control. I find that stradegy works good for me.
Just a final note, my current project motor is a BHW (2005 Passat 2.0 PD engine) very similar in OEM systems to your BEW.  The EDC15P ECU is a nice simple replacement for the north american OEM engine.
'99 Audi A4 Quattro - 2.0 BHW TDI, EDC15P, GT2056V, AWIC, 5Speed Euro Tranny - 214Whp/363TQ

Reply #25June 07, 2008, 10:35:19 am

Greasecar

• Junior

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 10:35:19 am »
Well, I'll definately need all the help I can get on the ECU but should be able to handle the mechanical and wiring (my tech support manager "Turbofan" already did the pinout map for the engine harness).

lbreton-
I have a BHW in my Passat, to my knowledge most of the differences are in the bottom end and manifolds.  Are you the one who cut out the balance shafts when you did your engine swap?  Very bold, I like when people treat their engines like engines rather than delicate engineering marvels.

Here is the dash mock up

Acc pedal mounted

Column adaptation

www.greasecar.com

Reply #26June 07, 2008, 11:14:45 am

lbreton

• Junior

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 11:14:45 am »
Quote from: "Greasecar"
Well, I'll definately need all the help I can get on the ECU but should be able to handle the mechanical and wiring (my tech support manager "Turbofan" already did the pinout map for the engine harness).

lbreton-
I have a BHW in my Passat, to my knowledge most of the differences are in the bottom end and manifolds.  Are you the one who cut out the balance shafts when you did your engine swap?  Very bold, I like when people treat their engines like engines rather than delicate engineering marvels.

tech support manager? ok..I will admit I am a bit envious of that scenario.  :)
I took a look through the BEW wire diagram this morning. There are not many differences. 4 wire glowplug system, oxygen sensor, ABS link..and a bunch of "other" chasis connections.  I am willing to bet that the engine wil run fine without most of the chasis connections.
yes, I am the one with the lobectomoy on the balance shaft module.  :lol:  Its an educated guess that it will work not only "just fine" but probably really well. It definatley solves the chain overloading problem, and the Swaintech PC9 coated pump drive is going to work good too I think.  I all ready tested it for fit and it is way more snug than the OEM.  My RS4 flywheel is 13.6 pounds, so I don't think the BS module would of lasted  very long with the inherent weekness.
That dash and cluster will be a nice upgrade.

Fixmyvw.com