Author Topic: Need help asap. Blown HG on daily driver. Toyota pickup 22re  (Read 8558 times)

Reply #15January 08, 2008, 12:45:00 am

subsonic

• Veteran

Need help asap. Blown HG on daily driver. Toyota pickup 22re
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 12:45:00 am »
It lives!

Bit rappy untill I get the valves adjusted again now that I've run it a bit.

OK, I screwed up when I went to start it :oops: .  I did a check in the engine compartment and under the vehicle to make sure I did'nt leave any screwdrivers or sockets laying around.  Looked good.  Cranked the engine.......just started to fire, CLANG!!!   I hear stuff hitting the floor after it sounded like it had bounced around the engine compartment. :x  Not good.
Shut it down.
Wife says. "I saw it hit the ground.  It's over there."
Boy howdy, that's a big ***ing bolt laying on the floor. :?
"I did not pull this off"  Where the hell did this come from?
Oh ***, there is a ratchet under the truck too. :?

:shock:  :shock:
Yep, that there is the bolt from the crank. :x
  I had my socket on it to turn the engine to TDC and to spin it over while I adjusted the valves. :oops:  :oops:
Boy I feel stupid.  At least it did not throw it through the radiator.  That would have just been a kick in the dink.

Tightened her back up and took it for a spin.  Kind of smokey until all the spillage burned off.  Runs fine now.  What a relief.
 Running a family with two people working and three kids with one car is a logistical nightmare.  We are a two car family again :D
I deserve a big fat cocktail, why thanks, yes. I'll go get one right now!
 :wink:  :)
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal edition, 6-spd. 16V 2.0CR

1985 VW Golf 5-spd, 4-door, 1.6NA  Bought from orig. owner in Savannah with 42,000 miles.
"Making the jump NA to TD" slow but sure.

1980 VW Rabbit LS 5-spd, 4-door 1.6NA almost 450,000miles  RIP

Reply #16January 08, 2008, 08:01:36 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Need help asap. Blown HG on daily driver. Toyota pickup 22re
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 08:01:36 am »
I've left a ratchet attached to the crank before when I started it. Luckily it was set the right way that it just ratcheted and didn't actually move.

Glad you have it all buttoned up
Tyler

Fixmyvw.com