Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Timing belt - not easy  (Read 15565 times)

Reply #15April 02, 2005, 11:57:57 pm

cipo28

• User+

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 11:57:57 pm »
...thanks Norm, probably I'll fix by myself! :roll:

So, we'll keep in touch with your news next week,

Have a good weekend.
Ciprian :P
'94 VW Golf GL 1.9TD/AAZ

Reply #16April 05, 2005, 09:02:45 pm

Norm

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 09:02:45 pm »
Hey Guys I'm back !!

Picked up the head tonight....  I''ve been inspecting it closely....  just to see and learn since I'm waiting for my manual to arrive.  

As I wait for my manual, I have a couple of questions..

1) What the best way to test my glow plugs ?  and... How tight do they need to be.. ?

2) How about the injectors, is there anything to do to them before re-installing them back on the head?  and again, how tight do they need to be installed?

3) I assume it's a heat sensor screwed into the end of the head,  what should I use to seal the little bugger ??  Not teflon tape but ... some kind of gasket glue ?  I also noticed that the gasket for the exhaust connector pipe off the turbo had two cooper type gaskets with silicone gasket (orange stuff).  probably best to go pickup a new gasket...but is it one of those hard to seal gaskets?  Just wondering why two gaskets and silicone...

Lastly, I need to get a tool to measure 90 degrees etc.. when I tighten the head bolts, I need to turn them 90 degrees ( in two steps). I was wondering where have you guy been pickup this type of tool ?

LOL.. Does it show that I've out of the garage businsess for 22 years !! wow time flies.

thanks..
Norm in Manitoba
96 Jetta 1.9 TD
www.gaitedridge.com

Reply #17April 05, 2005, 09:57:44 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 09:57:44 pm »

1) What the best way to test my glow plugs ?  and... How tight do they need to be.. ?

You can test glow plugs with a continuity tester or an ohmeter. They should be very close to a short circuit (less than 1ohm) . If they have high resistance or open circuit they are defective. For a real sure thing hook up a battery to the glow plug in question. Ground the body and hook + to the terminal. It should glow red in a couple seconds, use caution to avoid severe burns. :D. Use copper based anti sieze on the glow plugs and tighten to 18ft/lbs.  

2) How about the injectors, is there anything to do to them before re-installing them back on the head?  and again, how tight do they need to be installed?

You should get new heat shields for the injectors and use copper based anti seize on the threads. Tighten to 51ft/lbs

3) I assume it's a heat sensor screwed into the end of the head,  what should I use to seal the little bugger ??  Not teflon tape but ... some kind of gasket glue ?  I also noticed that the gasket for the exhaust connector pipe off the turbo had two cooper type gaskets with silicone gasket (orange stuff).  probably best to go pickup a new gasket...but is it one of those hard to seal gaskets?  Just wondering why two gaskets and silicone...

That is the oil pressure sensor in the end of the head. It does not require any sealant, it uses a soft aluminum crush washer. They can usually be reused. Tighten to 18ft/lbs. (If you want to pi$$ me off, apply teflon tape to banjo bolts, flare fittings and joints that use o-rings or crush washers...  :x )

I would replace the turbo gasket, it makes a really annoying squeal when it leaks...

Lastly, I need to get a tool to measure 90 degrees etc.. when I tighten the head bolts, I need to turn them 90 degrees ( in two steps). I was wondering where have you guy been pickup this type of tool ?

I always thought 90º was just a quarter turn  :D . My well calibrated eyeball and a paint marker has served me thus far. I do not own this tool of which you speak...  

If your eyeball was not calibrated during your last ISO quality assurance audit and its accuracy is somewhat questionable, you can purchase the proper tool at princess auto....

I would still recommend the paint marker. After the bolts have all been torqued to the second stage (44ft/lbs), mark each bolt head at the same angle, that way when you move on to the angle torquing sequence you can verify the angle of each bolt at a glance. Very handy if the wife calls you for dinner or the phone rings during the process...

Reply #18April 05, 2005, 10:53:46 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 10:53:46 pm »

LOL:  90 degrees is 1/4 of a circle (a circle is 360 degrees).  So to turn the bolt 90 degrees you would turn it from 12:00 to 3:00.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #19April 06, 2005, 05:24:15 am

Norm

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 05:24:15 am »
Too funny...  :lol:   I use the same tools as you guys ..  When I had to torque the crank pulley I made a mark and told  my son to make sure to tell me when the marks line up...  ( I can't remember if it was 1/4 or 1/2 a turn.) but I figured ...oh these guys probably wouldn't be too impressed to hear that I was using the tools god gave me.   :lol: rather than buying the proper tool.  

QuickTD, I 'll check the box for that aluminum washer..  It was still on the head  when I brought it in to have the valves replaced.  They removed it and  threw it n a box with the rest of the bolts ( manifold etc..)  Maybe there's a new aluminum washer in the gasket set..  

Thanks..
Norm in Manitoba
96 Jetta 1.9 TD
www.gaitedridge.com

Reply #20April 06, 2005, 02:55:12 pm

Norm

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 02:55:12 pm »
I found a angle torque tool at Princess Auto on sale ( 46% off I think) for approx. $7.50.
Norm in Manitoba
96 Jetta 1.9 TD
www.gaitedridge.com

Reply #21April 07, 2005, 02:18:44 pm

cipo28

• User+

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 02:18:44 pm »
Quote from: "Norm"
I found a angle torque tool at Princess Auto on sale ( 46% off I think) for approx. $7.50.

Hey Norm, so much cost you (totaly) to rebuild your head cylinder :?:

All the best, :P
Cip.
'94 VW Golf GL 1.9TD/AAZ

Reply #22April 07, 2005, 08:34:18 pm

Norm

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2005, 08:34:18 pm »
Ok prices..

- Timinig Belt Tensioner ............................................. 109.00 incl. tax
- Crank Pulley, new crank bolt, 4 bolts for balancer......close to 100.00?

- labour to have head checked/cleaned, install 3 new valves, re-install 8 new lifters, etc.. (166.00 labour only)
- 8 lifters, 3 valves, new head gasket, gasket set for rest of assembly..
 Total with parts, labour & taxes 501.00

Orderred a bentley Service Manual for 48.00 (member @ Chapter.ca).

So let's see that adds up to roughly 760.00 plus approx. 50.00 in misc tools I needed to pick up.  

I still need one glow plug, a new turbo gasket, and a few tools like a special socket ?? . I have yet to figure out what the best tool would be for tightening down injectors.

I wanted to ask the local VW dealer how much for a job lke this but...  I feel like I'm in their way when I go there.. So I haven't asked.  I  know they wanted 99.00 for the bentley manual.

I have a really busy weekend lined up so I'm not sure if I'll have it put back together this weekend.   With a little luck, I'll have the rest of the parts and manual tomorrow and I can put her back together in the night .  
 :shock:
Norm in Manitoba
96 Jetta 1.9 TD
www.gaitedridge.com

Reply #23April 07, 2005, 09:32:28 pm

cipo28

• User+

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2005, 09:32:28 pm »
...thanks Norm, and have a good luck in putting her together!!!

All the best,
Cip
'94 VW Golf GL 1.9TD/AAZ

Reply #24April 21, 2005, 08:41:33 pm

Norm

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 08:41:33 pm »
Well guys, it's all done.. She purrs like a kitten !!!!!!!!

My sons and I had a great time putting this back together..  I have just a couple of items to finish up..   I need a new valve on the valve cover .. Don't know exactly what it's called but I'm hoping to find one less expensive than what the dealer wants $69.00 !!!  

With the help from this forum, I was able to analyse and repair my VW Thanks..  the car runs great !!

QuickTD,  many thanks for all of your advice..

Also, I wish to express a special appreciation to my brother Onil for the tools he fabricated for me.  I asked him to make me a tool to hold the crank, and a couple of special sockets to tighten my Fuel injectors.

Regards
Norm in Manitoba
96 Jetta 1.9 TD
www.gaitedridge.com

Reply #25April 30, 2005, 10:12:52 am

cipo28

• User+

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 10:12:52 am »
Hey Norm,
That valve what you talking about is called: "crankcase breather regulator valve"!

I have to do the same thing with my head cylinder, the only thing I'm scared if I'll be able to put all back together, without mistakes!

All the best,
Ciprian :wink:
'94 VW Golf GL 1.9TD/AAZ

Reply #26April 30, 2005, 11:05:30 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2005, 11:05:30 am »
Quote from: "cipo28"
Hey Norm,
That valve what you talking about is called: "crankcase breather regulator valve"!  

What exactly does that breather valve do. How does it work and how do you know if yours is bad?  Mine flows air in either direction. The Bentley has no reference as to how to inspect it.

Thanks
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #27April 30, 2005, 02:44:50 pm

cipo28

• User+

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2005, 02:44:50 pm »
Quote from: "Rat407"
Quote from: "cipo28"
Hey Norm,

What exactly does that breather valve do. How does it work and how do you know if yours is bad?  Mine flows air in either direction. The Bentley has no reference as to how to inspect it.

Thanks

The man (Norm) asked how's called the thing...I gave him the proper answer!
What's mean "breather" for you?! Has the same function like your lung  :lol:
If is blocked than must change it!
Mine is fine, I said I have the same problem like Norm had!

All the best! :P
'94 VW Golf GL 1.9TD/AAZ

Reply #28April 30, 2005, 08:47:51 pm

Norm

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2005, 08:47:51 pm »
Thanks for the proper name !!  
The breather valve on my jetta is broken because I broke it...  I broke it by twisting it too hard when attempting to pull it off the valve cover.  That's how I know mine is broken and will remain until I can find one reasonably priced.

Cipo28,
I also had reservations about being able to put it back together myself but truthfully, it wasn''t too hard.  I did it with my two sons (10 & 12 yr old) and would I do it again ?  In a flash.   No doubt there are still a few things that I don't understand about my car.  If resources become available, I'd like to find myself an old wrecked jetta just so that I can take it apart and study things like the fuel system.  

I do however want to warn you about some of the difficulties I had when fixing my Jetta.. .   First, I needed to make a tool to hold the crank.   This allowed me to torq the  crank bolt properly.

Secondly, I needed to make a tool to torq down the injectors.  Actually made two.. I first made a deeper 27mm socket and it worked okay except that it didn't fit once the head was on the car.. I then made an offset  deep 27mm socket.   This allows me to tighten the injector after the head is installed.  To give credit where credit is due, my brother welded all of these tools..

The head itself I brought to a engine rebuilding shop to ensure the head was properly measured/analyzed for warping etc...  They found three bent valves and three bad lifters.. i replaced the thrre valves but asked that they replace all of the lifters.. smart choices ..maybe maybe not..

good luck !!
Norm in Manitoba
96 Jetta 1.9 TD
www.gaitedridge.com

Reply #29May 01, 2005, 02:26:08 am

srivett

• Veteran

Timing belt - not easy
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2005, 02:26:08 am »
try www.altrom.ca for more reasonably priced German parts.  You'll have to check their dealer locator for somebody close to you.

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Fixmyvw.com