Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Axle Interchangeability  (Read 3327 times)

April 01, 2005, 10:43:01 pm

geozukisamurai

Axle Interchangeability
« on: April 01, 2005, 10:43:01 pm »
I am new to this board and also new to vw's .I am going to buy a 85 jetta td ,it has a blown cv on the front pass. side.I have two questions .What years will fit this car and are the two axles the same length or is one longer than the other ?Oh and a third question .On this bord I have heard mention of 90 mil. axles and 100 mil. axles .What is this refering to and how do I find out which one I need i.e. What do I have to measure or can someone tell me based on the year/model ?Thanks

Reply #1April 02, 2005, 05:02:07 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Axle Interchangeability
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 05:02:07 pm »
An axle that is "90mm" or "100mm" refers to the outside diameter of its CV joints.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2April 02, 2005, 06:08:05 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

Axle Interchangeability
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 06:08:05 pm »
90 or 100 mm refers to the size of the flange on the tranny that the shaft bolts to. I'd bet on your car haveing 90 mm flanges. The two axles are different lengths, but the cv joints are the same. they can be moved from axle to axle if you know how or have a manual. They axles from any mk2 car (85 to 92) will fit if they have the same 90 mm flange. The older cars (up to 84) have the same joints, but I'm pretty sure the length is different.  You can probably buy a complete rebuilt 1/2 shaft for under 150 bucks/

Reply #3April 02, 2005, 09:15:32 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: Axle Interchangeability
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 09:15:32 pm »
Quote from: "geozukisamurai"
I am new to this board and also new to vw's .I am going to buy a 85 jetta td ,it has a blown cv on the front pass. side.I have two questions .What years will fit this car and are the two axles the same length or is one longer than the other ?Oh and a third question .On this bord I have heard mention of 90 mil. axles and 100 mil. axles .What is this refering to and how do I find out which one I need i.e. What do I have to measure or can someone tell me based on the year/model ?Thanks

the axles are different lengths. One is hollow and the other is solid, to make up for the length difference (they both weigh exactly the same).  Driveaxle flanges:  look at your transmission code (on the bellhousing).  AGS, AOP, AEN, ASF, 4S have 90mm flanges.  2Y, ACD, AGB, ACL, 9A, AON have 100mm flanges.  You can't interchange them, but you can remove the offending flange from the transmission (be careful of the spring loaded circlip) and replace with appropriate flange.  100mm is better than 90mm.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Fixmyvw.com