Author Topic: 1.9LTD Burning oil problem, no one can fiqure it out! « » 8:  (Read 2737 times)

December 01, 2007, 12:32:42 pm

James8485

• Junior

1.9LTD Burning oil problem, no one can fiqure it out! « » 8:
« on: December 01, 2007, 12:32:42 pm »
hi i have a 1.9L TD AAZ Golf , its getting worse and worse 2 L of oil in like 1000k (1 tank of diesel) brought it from shop to shop no one can tell me why.....motor was replaced new from VW like 3 years ago so i dont think rings or valves b/c i dont get any smoke other then the normal on start up... i can see smoke like in 1st gear or second but only when i feel the turbo kick in i can see a puff out the back end... i did turn the turbo up to 14 PSI i dont know if i just recked it???? its been running at that for 6 months now. no leaks on driveway and when i got my window alittle bit down in summer its reaks the whole car up of burnt oil..... its definatly burning it i think does anyone know what i can do or what to look for or tests i can do to check.....if seals are gone in the turbo how would i know???? turbo has 295 000 on its original i think.....please somone help.....email me what you think
[email protected]

---------James--------

Reply #1December 01, 2007, 01:29:22 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

1.9LTD Burning oil problem, no one can fiqure it out! « » 8:
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 01:29:22 pm »
First off...your AAZ is a IDI TD motor (InDirect Injection), not a TDI (Turbo Direct Injection). You'll find further help and more information on your car/motor specifically over in the "IDI Engine" Forums.

On your specfic problem. It sounds as if the turbo has gone south and the oil seals have gone bad. That is quite characteristic of the problems that you are having. You can't be absolutely positive without removing the turbo and disassembling, but a good indication is the "burning" off oil that is occuring as well as the "Puffs" out the tailpipe.

Its common to find a bit of oil in the intake track  (between turbo and intake manifold, or in the intercooler tubes/pipes if you have it intercooled) but alot of oil is another bad indication. Also, it could blow oil through the turbine/hot side of the turbo as well...removing the dp could give you an indication, but more than likely most of that oil is going to already be "burnt" up.

From there...you'd move to other problems such as valve stem seals, rings, etc. but given the number of miles on your cars original turbo vs. that on the actual engine itself. I'm lending towards the turbo.

On the old IDI TD i had in the GTD, I had a t3 blow its seals and it blew small particules of oil onto the hatch (after a week of driving) as well as made some major smoke in 1st and 2nd until it burnt most of it up.
Replaced the seals...no more problems...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Fixmyvw.com