Author Topic: Fast times in the Hammertown part 2  (Read 8058 times)

March 15, 2005, 07:46:11 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Fast times in the Hammertown part 2
« on: March 15, 2005, 07:46:11 pm »
Here in Hamilton there's a raised 2x2 lane expressway through the industrial district.  It's great, because barring heavy traffic, you can make a 2 minute trip out of what would be a 15 minute drive through the lower traffic-light route.
A couple days ago, I merged onto the beginning of this expressway at the same time as a fellow in an isuzu impulse did from the opposite direction. He was driving quite aggressively, typical for a young fellow like that. Anyway, it turned out that simply maintaining my speed nicely prevented him from moving into the fast lane ahead of me. It obviously annoyed him, and I could see the testosterone boiling away inside him. I tweaked him a little harder by blipping the throttle as I passed him. Anyway, I continued along monitoring his progress. He finally managed to get past a little cluster of traffic and catch up to me settling into a very close tailgating position. We slowly passed a couple cars in the slow lane when he took a shot at passing me on the right. Well, there was another car ahead in the slow lane, and again, maintaining my speed prevented him from getting ahead of me. (I love it when that happens!  :twisted: ) So again, he pulled in behind me, we passed that last slow car, and then he lunged back out into the slow lane for the pass. The road was clear ahead, I was in 4th, humming along at 2500ish, and stepped on it. This engine isn't a revver but it sure has a lot of tug in the mid-range. I started to pull away, and slipped it into 5th. Boost came up and I continued to pull away. When I was about 100m ahead of him, I merged into his lane and let him enjoy my smoke trail. When I'd made my point very clear, I let off and coasted. A short time later, he sped past, glaring at me. I didn't even acknowledge his existance. (that always seems to rile them up even more!)
A few seconds later, we ended up side by side at a red light at the end of the expressway.  I looked over at him, and for my piece de resistance,  patted my mouth in a big yawn, looked ahead just in time to see the light change, and left him with a very smokey (my poor tires!) 2nd gear burnout. Before the next traffic light, he turned into an empty factory driveway and sat there until I was gone.

German Diesel Power: 1  
Ricer: 0

I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #1March 15, 2005, 10:32:57 pm

Hammy

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 10:32:57 pm »
Hey Doc;

Where is part one, lol! Love the story, right on! 8)
Hammy (Jason)
'96 Golf, 1.8 gas
'91 Golf, 1.6 TD
'98 GMC 1500 4x4, 5.7L (doing my best to save the oil companies, 85 liters takes me 600 km)
'78 Ford 3000 3cyl, 201 diesel, with loader

Reply #2March 16, 2005, 01:05:47 am

dieselpower

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 01:05:47 am »
nice story,
i love my diesel's naturall abillity to rid my car of tailagters :lol:
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #3March 16, 2005, 02:02:26 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 02:02:26 am »

Reply #4March 16, 2005, 05:52:28 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 05:52:28 pm »
LOL!!
I can't claim to be anywhere near as fast (yet :lol: ) but I have a similar story. Ha to take my car home from work, and a fellow employee went in a chev pickup to bring me back.

92 chev 1/2 ton, 305, posi and peppi to drive.

He took off ahead of me in a hurry, so I followed. When he quit gaining speed, I pulled out and went around him. Just fooling around.

Turned a corner, driving sane again, and saw him in the mirror sideways around the corner trying to get the jump on me, so I thought, what the h*ll. I stood on it and shifted the car at about 4000 every shift, and he couldn't catch me.
Talking with him afterword, apparently he hadn't let off when I went by him the first time!! Speedo showed 180 and still climbing.
92 Jetta, 1.9 idi w/five speed.
Needless to say I was impressed with this car.

Now for a pyrometer and a boost gauge................... :D

Reply #5March 17, 2005, 08:36:55 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 08:36:55 am »
I've got one- a little off topic, but I got my ass handed to me by a diesel.  :P

So I've got this Camaro, right- and it's only a V6 (3800) and a 5-speed, but a good handful of mods and runs consistent 15.0-15.2 in the quarter.  Problem is, I have an exhaust made by SLP and to anyone taking a glance at the car, looks just like a Z28.  (no badges though) So nobody EVER messes with me on the street, I never get even a slight challenge from anybody- even the stupid local honda boys are smart enough to not mess with a Z28- even though it would be a (respectable, anyway) race with my V6.  Oh well.  The one time I did get a challenge was from a Chevy HD with the Duramax.  He was to my right, and the road was 2 lanes for about an 1/8 mile before they closed up.  I looked over and saw a gauge package on the A-pillar and knew that I might be in trouble.  Light changed and I gave her hell, but it wasnt enough, he blew past me about halfway there and at that point I let off.  Maybe I could have nabbed him in a full 1/4 mile but not in that short jump.  He pulled off in a turn lane and gave me a thumbs up right about the same time I gave him one, so nothin but respect.  ;)  But yeah.  My Camaro has beat a Skyline on the track but got "owned" by a full-size diesel truck.  Oh well.  That's one reason why I'm selling it!  :D

Hopefully when my Rocco is on the road, I'll get some challenges by these wimp Mustang and Honda drivers around here, then the real fun begins.  Also, our local 1/8'th mile drag strip has an "import shootout" every friday night- perfect hunting ground for a lightweight diesel car.   :twisted:

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #6March 17, 2005, 12:45:49 pm

Hammy

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 12:45:49 pm »
Last summer, I was working in Pickering, Ont. After work a co-worker and I were lined up side by side at the lights, on Brock St. ( a long road) We both have stock TD VW's. His is a Jetta, mine a Golf. I had a passenger, so I figured things wieghed about the same. We were blipping the throttles, like a couple of pro-stock racers, and when the light turned green,we were off in a huge cloud of black smoke.  We were door to door for up to 140 Km/h. It was the most fun I have had street racing in years. Those poor people behind us. It must have resembled Haggarsville, during the tire fire, hehehe :twisted:
Hammy (Jason)
'96 Golf, 1.8 gas
'91 Golf, 1.6 TD
'98 GMC 1500 4x4, 5.7L (doing my best to save the oil companies, 85 liters takes me 600 km)
'78 Ford 3000 3cyl, 201 diesel, with loader

Reply #7March 27, 2005, 11:51:10 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 11:51:10 pm »
Hey Brendan, I've got a buddy (Mark) with a modded Chevy Duramax 3500 (dually), and you don't EVER want to challenge one of those guys!  :shock:

A while back I helped him install a 5" turbo-back to dual 4" outs and a Powerchip module. EIGHT HUNDRED FOOT POUNDS of torque is just a button push away. A mutual buddy's son has a 700 hp supercharged late model Camero, and he won't run Mark stop-light to stop-light. Even though the Chevy can only do about 12-flat in the quarter, that's because it runs out on the big end. From a dead stop its 7000 pounds of weight and huge duallies out back spell defeat in a short race for anything on 9" singles...  :lol:
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #8March 28, 2005, 08:38:16 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 08:38:16 am »
LOL!  Something that big just shouldnt be able to go that fast.... :D

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #9March 28, 2005, 09:10:25 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 09:10:25 am »
I don't know about the Duramax, but we've got three powerstrokes at work that need some major tuning. 4.88 gears in the back with overdrive trannys and still gutless! Never tried it, but I'd be willing to wajer serious coin that my NA 354 perkins in a GMC 4 door 3/4 ton (five speed direct, 3.21)would smoke them(literally :lol: ) to 100 k,maybe beyond.

Reply #10March 28, 2005, 12:32:08 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 12:32:08 pm »
Patrick, the Powerstrokes come gutless from the factory, but as with the Durmax, whatever power level you want is just a chip away...  :lol:
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #11March 28, 2005, 12:52:37 pm

Smog

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 12:52:37 pm »
Quote from: "VWRacer"
whatever power level you want is just a chip away...  :lol:

same distance for the automatic tranny failure  :lol:
www.VEG-Injection-Service.com

1.6GTD nozzles (RA/SB )
1.9TD nozzles (AAZ )
0.205mm or 0.216mm TDI nozzles
TDI injection pump seal kit  
IDI Pump shaft seal

Reply #12March 28, 2005, 01:13:16 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 01:13:16 pm »
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?  :lol:
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #13May 11, 2005, 09:48:43 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 09:48:43 pm »
Quote from: "VWRacer"
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?  :lol:

well im a vw man,,but here goes,,,"the 'stroke is a joke,,get rammed",(cummins),,,all other of those truck engines suck,,not a realhd diesel,,ever seenstroke's rocker arms,,what junk,,,the cummins willstand the test of time,,duramax is ok,,,but the strokes crap out 225 $$ a piece injectors after 100k,,haahaa,,had some dummy at work fry a stroke with gasoline in tank,,killed all 8 inj.s ,,,1600 just for parts!!!!!!!!!
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #14March 27, 2011, 10:24:30 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Re: Fast times in the Hammertown part 2
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 10:24:30 am »
resurrecting some good ole times. :)

S-PAutomotive.com