S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Need final help with Turbo choice - just need re-assurance.  (Read 3495 times)

May 30, 2004, 09:29:31 am

DieselMonkey

• Junior

Guys,

OK you will all probably remember my posts about my turbo / intercooler conversion on my mkIII Golf, 1.9L D.

I wont need any more help with the fuel system. I have got the 1.9L pump with fuel enrichment valve and can simply swap the valve to a 1.6 one or as i have been told, simply modify my own by machining off a portion on the lathe. I will need to look into this when i compare the 2 items.

But lastly, just to re-assure me on the whole issue. The turbo i have is the standard 1.9TD.... KKK - K03. I know this is a 'low pressure turbo' as described by VW themselves but i was reading some posts on this forum yest. and there is a lot of confusing and conflicting information.

Heres my plans. The car will come off the road in Aug / Sept to begin the conversion. Right now i'm looking for a mk II to replace the mkIII as an everyday driver. Once the conversion is complete, it will only be driven occasionally and taken to shows etc... So i'm not looking for massive all out power from my converison, just an impressive looking conversion thats had plenty of work done. I have access to a lot of 316 grade Stainless pipe, all sizes from 35 mm up (inc. 53 mm for intercooler pipes).  

1) My question is about the turbo and that conflicting info i was talking about. Should i have my turbo simply re-conned to standard K03 spec, or should i have it re-manufactured to a hybrid with higher performance intake side and ball bearing system. I really need advice on this cause i want it to be a real nice job. There isnt a lot of difference in price between the standard and hybrid turbo work. Please remember that there will be an intercooler and all the pipework between turbo and inlet manifold which will reduce the charge pressure a bit. If the original K03 is very low pressure, the intercooler and pipework might leave it totally in-effective !  :evil:

Moving on, i want to keep my standard exh. manifold, its got a 3 point (triangular) fastner design for the turbo, the 1.6L turbo i had a chance at was 4 bolt design so i had to turn it down, it was only £50 too !

I mention this because of the exhaust turbine restriction, which i believe is greater on the 1.9L. As you know, my engine doesnt have under piston cooling and i'm running an intercooler (with fan) and mobil 1 Delvac to counter act this...  :wink:

2) So is the restriction of the 1.9's KO3 going to cause real problems ? When the pump goes on, i'm not going to fuel it for a lot of power, just a nice gain, and i'm fitting a exh. temp gauge and oil temp. gauge too.

I read here yest. of a 1.9 TD that had 'alarmingly high exh. gas temperatures' ! This car's my pride and joy, i dont want to cause serious engine damage, but guys, dont let this stop you from giving advice ! The turbo's going on, the more help i get, the less chance of there being problems.  :oops:

And yes, i have retro- fitted turbo's before, but only to large displacment Diesel's, never had a problem. They where all direct injection with lower comp. ratio's. Mines got 22.5:1, same as standard 1.9TD, when turbo's going on, it will have about 93,000 miles on the clock. Cylinders are in very 'tight' shape, perfect starting and no oil consumption at all.  :D

Look forward to the help and advice as the new workshops near completion and i would like to get this turbo off to the re-manufacturers. I'm most appreciative of the help.

Thanks again. DM

S-PAutomotive.com