S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Gasser intake swap  (Read 18286 times)

Reply #30March 27, 2005, 02:30:05 pm

foxracer1

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Gasser intake swap
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2005, 02:30:05 pm »
That is an awsome setup and the engine comparment is imaculate just looks awesome.
84 4dr Rabbit 1.6 N/A sold to friend
86 Jetta TD getting raced out AHU 02A
98 Jetta TDI Malone tune stg 3
91 S10 305 TPI T56
86 S10 2WD Prerunner project.

Now offering turbo rebuilds. HP or stock. Any turbo you have i can rebuild it for ya.
Reseal injection pumps PM for det

Reply #31March 28, 2005, 08:14:26 am

gldgti

• Veteran

• http://scramjetsite.8m.com
Gasser intake swap
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2005, 08:14:26 am »
i tried a few of the things mentiones above on my 1.5 n/a.

first tried making up some 3" ducting and funelling (really) air from under the front LHS bumper up to the snorkel. worked ok, no big increases, but a few extra bugs in the filter box.....

then i decided to make my own aluminium mesh grille (the stock plastic one had an ugly hole in it infront of the radiator curtasy of the previous owner) and thus had cold air all over the place in the engine bay....

then i went all out, used the die griner with the cutting disc to cut out the snorkel fitting on the airbox and riveted in a little sheetmetal 80mm round stub. I got a bit of 80mm PVC downpipe, and two 80mm x 88 degree wide bends, and made a nice 's' shape to take the intake air fron right next to the radiator, getting fresh air from the front.

results? well, the car has a lot more pulling power at all rpm, so no complaints, and for $25 bucks it was a cheap mod

happy cutting

aydan
'77 Golf LS 4 door twincharger project
'91 Golf Cabrio 1.9TD
'94 Golf TD - AAZ, 2.5" Mandrel DP and exhaust, Merc T3 1.6TD boost pin, FMIC, Koni suspension, VR6 Brakes, VR6 Seats, VR6 sway-bars - sadly missed
'07 SKODA Octavia 1.9 TDI PD - Remapped ECU

Reply #32March 28, 2005, 01:17:17 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

Gasser intake swap
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 01:17:17 pm »
Take a look at a late model Golf or Jetta TDI. They have a long thin snorkle laying on top of the rad mount that traps air entering under the bonnet. It works very well, doesn't need any hacking on the grill, and should be very cheap to fab one up for a TD. I'll try to snap a pic of the one on my wife's Golf tonight.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #33March 29, 2005, 09:08:56 pm

Antebios

Gasser intake swap
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005, 09:08:56 pm »
Hey guys i got an intake off of a G60 and put it on. It didn't seem to help at all. Im thinking its actually is getting less air in at lower rpms so that isnt helping at all. White smoke is coming out of the exhaust  at about the mid rpm range when i rev it so im guessing almost no air is getting in because of the long intake.

Ill take some pics of it tomorrow. Im going to take it off because its killing my gas mileage. 27 mpg. I got lots of PVC pipe because my dad is a plumber.

Reply #34August 20, 2013, 06:14:06 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

Re: Gasser intake swap
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 06:14:06 pm »
Old thread is old, but I think it is better to dig up the old rather than start a new thread rehashing the same stuff. My questions and suggestions are in relation to ram air. Granted, I can't brag that it is a genius idea to help roll big power with a n/a diesel....because let's face it...our motors are still the skinny puppies in the litter!

My deez is an 86 jetta with a 1.6 n/a. I have the ABA exhaust manifold, dual DP and 2 1/4 exhaust. It is ready and willing to exhale.

For quite some time, I have seen custom 3" PVC ducts to the existing airbox, I have seen people running gasser intakes and cone filters...I have even been asked why I haven't done the same.

My first experiment with "swiss cheesing" the airbox was a n00b move when I first got the car...matter of fact...swiss cheesing was my SECOND experiment! The first involved cutting a lid so that it was only a frame around the perimeter of the filter to hold it down haha!

Yet, after all these years...I am still fond of the idea. My intake is the newer version with the short metal runners that bolt to the plastic lower airbox. I believe this in itself is a decent flow upgrade compared to the earlier all metal housings? Anyways, My runners have been port matched, I run a K&N drop in filter and I still run my swiss airbox cover to this day, so long as weather permits. I always keep the stock airbox cover in the trunk, in case of rain or other circumstances where it might be preferred (it is much quieter as well!)

I understand why people want to bag on my "hot air intake". Yes. I know. Ultimately, it is allowing the motor to suck up the heated air from the engine bay instead of fresh air from behind the passenger side of the fender. When I first got my car, NONE of that ducting was there...so it was sucking in hot air one way or another haha. My swiss cheese airbox allows more airflow, as well as a less biased flow (in theory, at least ???). It seems to me that with the inlet being limited to the side, the #1 cylinder gets first dibs on the incoming air, while cylinder #4 gets the leftovers after the other 3 have eaten there share. It may be getting hot air, but it is still MORE air!

Mind you, I am speaking in layman's terms, because I am certainly no engineer!!!

Even though the gas intake still has a side inlet, I believe that in stock form, it would flow much better than the side inlet diesel setup in stock form, and would have less cylinder bias. However, I am now beginning to understand what has been mentioned earlier in this thread about the length and diameter of the runners and their effect on the powerband. Still, I find that the inside of the gasser plenum looks to be more strategically sculpted, while the lower part of the plastic diesel airbox looks rather...gridlike? A gas intake, to me, LOOKS like it was supposed to have air coming through the side! The diesel intake has short, narrow, straight runners. It looks like it should have air going straight into it. Which leads me to the ram air idea...

A unique feature of our engines being SIDEWAYS ;), is that the intake openings are all facing forward. My thought, is that with a strategically placed hoodscoop, air will be force fed straight down the throat of my modified N/A intake.

Downsides: Ricey, you have to be prepared for a rainy day, noise, excess drag? (guessing moreso for myself since I don't have a raintray? That's another story)
Benefits: cold air forced induction hahaha on the real though...more air, cold air, and increased static pressure (so says wikipedia...once again...not an engineer)

I never did any porting and polishing to my head before having it rebuilt, so I know that even with free flowing exhaust and intake is truly limited to my head and valvetrain, but I think it sounds like a reasonable experiment! I already sacrificed the airbox and I am willing to sacrifice a hood! Who wants to chip in for a Subaru hood scoop for the cause?  ;)

related pictures:

I think the WRX scoop looks tasteful!

My current intake setup.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:18:14 pm by flowmastergfunk »

Reply #35August 20, 2013, 08:01:09 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 08:01:09 pm »

My current intake setup.

My gosh where did all your wires and hoses go??  :o  Someday my engine bay will be that uncluttered, someday.

A hoodscoop would definitely be the coolest way to get cold air in.

Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

Reply #36August 20, 2013, 10:50:54 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 10:50:54 pm »
It's gettin there! You should see my CIS bay!! It is seriously cleaner than this...and that is unacceptable!! This should really clean up once I get the battery in the trunk and get my real glowplug setup installed

Scoop to force the cold air in the intake, dual fans to coerce cool air through the radiator, and the raintray delete to let the hot air vent out from the back of the hood  ;D

Almost too cool 8)

Reply #37August 20, 2013, 10:58:01 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 10:58:01 pm »
and the raintray delete to let the hot air vent out from the back of the hood  ;D

The area above the rain tray is high pressure. It will probably push air in rather than allow it to blow out.
Tyler

Reply #38August 20, 2013, 11:37:11 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 11:37:11 pm »
The area above the rain tray is high pressure. It will probably push air in rather than allow it to blow out.

There was further warning to this in my build thread, but thank you! Now I have all kinds of crap to worry about haha. I am not fully ready to scrap the idea yet, but more so, I am intrigued on what can be done to properly execute it...and correct my existing dilemma haha

Reply #39August 21, 2013, 08:01:28 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 08:01:28 pm »
It's gettin there! You should see my CIS bay!! It is seriously cleaner than this...and that is unacceptable!! This should really clean up once I get the battery in the trunk and get my real glowplug setup installed

Scoop to force the cold air in the intake, dual fans to coerce cool air through the radiator, and the raintray delete to let the hot air vent out from the back of the hood  ;D

Almost too cool 8)

Yeah, hopefully I can clean things up relatively soon. I'm in the process of finishing up a motor rebuild, vnt and gasser manifold upgrade, intercooler install, battery relocation, and strut tower raising... so much at once :P  At least I've got the bay repainted now, and the transmission is clean. I'll have to start a thread once I get it on the road again. But classes have started again as of today, so I'll be fighting the war on both fronts, lol.

Wouldn't the hot air just vent out the open bottom of the engine bay, like always? If you were really worried about the pressure pushing against the radiator fan's flow, you could seal off those hood vents above the now-deleted rain tray.

Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

Reply #40August 24, 2013, 10:55:58 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 10:55:58 pm »
I do believe because the air rushes through the radiator, or front of the car.. and then the air is rushing faster under neath it it makes the engine bay a low pressure. With the rain tray gone, it is supplemented by that high pressure pushing down and in and maybe neutralizing the pressures?? Who knows.

Reply #41August 30, 2013, 10:39:23 am

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 10:39:23 am »
I am really curious as to what happens with the air pressure now too...but it doesn't have any obvious negative effects. No wind noise or anything...at least not any wind noise that is louder than the engine haha.

I remembered the main reason I deleted the raintray though... getting the N/A diesel intake off is a MOTHER! Even with the rain tray gone!

I have some experimental ideas for the stock intake still, but I had everything all apart the other day and thought...what the heck. I had an spare, ported 92 cabby intake laying around that was going to be my candidate for a shaved manifold, so I thought I would run it for a little while. I only had to plug up a few holes on the front :)

I just bought a 16v scirocco throttle body for my rabbit project, when I realized that it was a two piece TB. I decided to use the short adapter to hook up a cone filter

with an Injen cone filter and a little elbow that came with it, it sits right under the hood vent to suck in some cold air (dirt, bugs, water, etc :P)

No noticeable benefits right now, other than the fact that it is MUCH easier to get on and off, and it actually is a bit quieter. I still have to do some fuel tuning because I am SHOCKED with what I am seeing now that I have an EGT gauge!!!! Yikes! :o

Reply #42August 30, 2013, 11:30:10 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 11:30:10 am »
Too high of EGT?? What exhaust arr you running? Forgive me.. I read a lot of threads. Lol

Reply #43August 30, 2013, 12:52:36 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 12:52:36 pm »
I am running an ABA manifold/downpipe with 2" straight back :/

doing some tuning today and hopefully get it sorted out. It feels way too weak to be making so much heat! I would have never guessed!

Reply #44August 30, 2013, 05:28:42 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 05:28:42 pm »
Timing. Check what it is.. too retarded will be excessive EGT.

S-PAutomotive.com