Author Topic: giles pump on TD = better fuel economy  (Read 1801 times)

October 28, 2007, 03:16:25 pm

the4ork

• Veteran

giles pump on TD = better fuel economy
« on: October 28, 2007, 03:16:25 pm »
those of you who have switched to a giles pump, have you noticed if you keep your foot out of it an increase in MPG's?

how about if you keep your foot in it, better mpg than stock or modded stock pump?

just wondering, it might justify me getting one for sure

Reply #1October 28, 2007, 04:22:27 pm

Cheesetoast

• Veteran

giles pump on TD = better fuel economy
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 04:22:27 pm »
a message i go from a fellow member when i was researching a few months back.

To:    Cheesetoast
Posted:    Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:31 pm
Subject:    Re: Gile pump and milage    Quote message
Hey there...

I'd say that the Giles pump probably decreased my mpg by around 2-4 mpg overall. It really depends how much you stay in the boost and rocket around in the car... Now, given the improvements that Giles makes in the pump, it transforms the engine in a way that makes "staying in the boost" a ton of fun.

I know it's hard to justify the money ($900 is a lot to spend on one of these old diesels), but obviously you're interested in the performance or you wouldn't have been considering it in the first place, right?

Think about it this way... unless you have a known good rebuilt pump already, you'll need a rebuild / new seals at some point...especially if you're running bio or ULSD. The difference between a straight rebuild and a few mods by Giles is only minor...plus you get the extra fun of a pump that's built for some extra oooomph rather than economy.

I'd do it again if I get another diesel...between the pump mods and the intercooler, the performance is really night and day.l

Hope that helps somewhat.

Elliott