Author Topic: 04 jetta tdi no power  (Read 8864 times)

October 04, 2007, 10:26:15 pm

TN firefighter

04 jetta tdi no power
« on: October 04, 2007, 10:26:15 pm »
i have a 2004 jetta tdi that all of a sudden lost all power and began to pour black smoke on acceleration. deciding to take on this problem myself i discovered the intake jammed full all the way to the valves with oil sludge. turbo was leaking as well with oil. exhaust pulsates into the intercooler hoses. is this normal? any idea how to do a compression check on one of these babies?. intake was cleaned and turbo replaced. still the same problem. someone pls help!

Reply #1October 05, 2007, 02:35:59 pm

Holeshot

• User+

04 jetta tdi no power
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 02:35:59 pm »
Wow - that's bad.
'04 = Pump Deuse / unit injectors...so you'd have to pull those to do your compression test...unless someone has an adapter that uses the glow plug holes.  Compression tests on diesels have always used the injector holes in my experience.

Do you have access to VAG-COM or even a cheap OBD-II scanner?  I'd like to think that a problem this significant would set a code or ten.

Pouring black smoke on acceleration = too much fuel or not enough airflow through the engine.  You said the turbo was replaced - so lets hope it isn't that.  What's odd is that the amount of fuel the ECM commands is based on MAF, coolant temp, fuel temp, manifold pressure (boost), etc. - so check all of these sorts of sensors that could be providing bad feedback to the ECM.

The exhaust should NOT pulsate into the intercooler hoses - could you describe this a bit further?  Almost sounds like you dropped a valve and the compression from the cylinder(s) is backfeeding into the intake...this is not cool at all.

Godspeed in your firefighting.  My Dad is retired from IAFF Local 2215 in Gardner, MA.

Hope this helps you out - we'll get it squared away.

Beers,

Matt
'94 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 - 12-valve Cummins, NV5600 6spd, SBC Con FE clutch, EDM injectors, etc. ~400rwhp, Isspro EGT/100psi boost gauges

'98 VW NB TDI - not stock by any means, but still pretty tame.  TDI-M candidate :cool:

'00 VW Jetta TDI - wife's 300,000+mi daily driver

Reply #2October 05, 2007, 05:08:24 pm

Slave2School

• Veteran

04 jetta tdi no power
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 05:08:24 pm »
Compression tests generally always use the glow plug holes in the older tdi's so you can probably find an adapter for that.

Just curious: what oil have you been using in the car?

Might want to check out the forums at www.tdiclub.com too the more eyeballs reading your issues the more likely you are to get decent ideas.
Waiting for a bigger better diesel to come along.
2002 ford focme wagon

Reply #3October 06, 2007, 05:30:49 pm

Holeshot

• User+

04 jetta tdi no power
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 05:30:49 pm »
I didn't realize that they had adapters for compression test that could use a glow plug hole.  Good to know...  By "older tdi's" do you mean ALH?

Does such a thing exist for the Mercedes IDI engines?

Cheers,

Matt
'94 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 - 12-valve Cummins, NV5600 6spd, SBC Con FE clutch, EDM injectors, etc. ~400rwhp, Isspro EGT/100psi boost gauges

'98 VW NB TDI - not stock by any means, but still pretty tame.  TDI-M candidate :cool:

'00 VW Jetta TDI - wife's 300,000+mi daily driver

Reply #4October 06, 2007, 06:46:31 pm

Slave2School

• Veteran

04 jetta tdi no power
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 06:46:31 pm »
Yeah ALH, there is a harbor freight kit somewhere for around $29 that has the adapters needed.  I think that kit has the adapters to do a variety of engines.  I never bought one my mechanic has all the goodies.
Waiting for a bigger better diesel to come along.
2002 ford focme wagon

Reply #5October 08, 2007, 12:09:38 am

arrowsmithdiesel

04 jetta tdi no power
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:09:38 am »
TN
Check that youre Intercooler pipes are connected and that they are not blocked in anyway.  Sometimes they can come off or the clamp can fall apart from rust etc... Had this problem on one of our TDI's awhile ago and it was fixed in 10mins as soon as we noticed the pipe was disconected on the lower one.  

You will find it just inside the passenger front wheel well, they can be damaged when you smash the side skirts or if they are already damaged from bottoming out.

I hope thats all it is.

Cheers
Erik

Reply #6October 10, 2007, 06:21:02 pm

TN firefighter

04 jetta tdi no power
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 06:21:02 pm »
Still cant figure this thing out. I got one of those compression test kits and tried to use it and the hose connection hits the side of the head and wont make the connection. the funny thing is that the kit says it will. lol. anyone have a clue what the compression is supposed to be when i do find out a way to couple the hose to the adapter? also be aware that when i replaced the turbo, all of the hoses, intake and intercooler had to be taken off and seriously cleaned. the intake was closed shut with oil sludge and carbon. All the hoses to intercooler had oil in them. after putting the thing back together im still getting exhaust pulses in the crankcase and when u take off the oil filler cap it pulses smoke and oil out of it. if u disconnect one of the intercooler hoses with it running it will pulse with exhaust. any more help will be appreciated. thanks all so far.

Reply #7October 10, 2007, 06:24:12 pm

TN firefighter

04 jetta tdi no power
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 06:24:12 pm »
thank goodness this vehicle isnt actually mine. im just doin the work on it. this vehicle has 160k miles on it by the way.

Fixmyvw.com