Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Side effects of M-TDI conversion on A4 ALH chassis

(1/4) > >>

Holeshot:
Has anyone done this?

I'm growing very tired of all the electronic funkyness (yes, that is a word...) that composes the ALH.  Hard starts, failure to add fuel when I REALLY want it to, etc.

I haven't done any experimentation yet to see if the A/C compressor and other such things like the speedometer, radiator fans, etc. will still operate if the engine isn't running but the key is on...but I'd like to keep my losses to a minimal when it comes to the comfort and automatically operating items in the car.

For the cost of an M-TDI pump, I'd eliminate SO many variables that all work against me when it comes to making power with the ALH and keeping it reliable.  I know I'd for sure loose my cruise control, but I rarely use it anyhow...

Heck, a good "chip tuning" would put me in the range of price of an M-TDI pump...!

Thanks for any insight,

Matt

jtanguay:
i would stick with electronics if i were you.  i would only consider an m-TDI on my MK2 jetta which would need the wiring harness from a mk3 tdi to run.

don't forget you'll need to install the cable pedal...  and i dont think the spedometer will work, or even the rev counter??  worth it??  i think it would be about the same either way you look at it.

now, what i would recommend:  hook up resistors to the sensors to give the computer a false reading.  basically linear feedback.  the computer won't compensate much if any at all.  it will be about as good as putting an m-TDI pump on.

RabbitGTDguy:
Also, as far as the MKIV chassis/production car in the states here is considered...you have some major emissions issues, etc. to contend with the DMV, especially alternating the fueling system, ECM, etc. I don't believe it would be able to pass inspection...

As always...don't quote me on it. The electronics on the TDI are not all that complex, and can/should be contended with properly and its probably the best setup for it legally and performance wise. :)

Joe

Holeshot:
I'd like to eliminate the MAF - I think mine is flaky and I don't want this to be a yearly $90 'normal maintenance' item.  I'd also like to run a BIG turbo that does not have VNT.

Eliminating the MAF and allowing for a traditionally wastegated turbo can be done with chip tuning, but I remember someone telling me that the ECM in my '98 NB is non-standard and not able to be chipped.  To top it all off, I can't swap a newer ECM into my car...nice.

Can you elaborate on hooking up resistors to the sensors?  This very idea was discussed in another thread where someone made ~180hp and 240ft-lbs to the wheels with just resistors...no bigger injector nozzles or pump heads needed.

An M-TDI only needs one wire just to run - the shutdown solenoid.  The ECM should take care of the rest, but it might like to know that the engine is running to give the alternator the field signal to keep things running at ~13.8VDC.  Goodie - big hurdle there, eh?  Maybe, maybe not.

Throttle cable - no biggie.  Speedometer - they're overrated. haha - no, I'd like to have one of those.  My '94 Ram lost the speedo/odo/cruise control when I converted from the automatic to an NV5600 6-speed and more importantly...NP241DLD to the new style NP241DHD that lacks a boss on the tailshaft for hall effect sensor for speedo...it's a bit of a pain to not have a speedo.

As for emissions/DMV/legality - none of that is an issue out here.  We have no emissions or safety checks.  Yet somehow, the air isn't polluted and there isn't a problem with substandard vehicles causing accidents.....go figure.  Leave this task up to the people without intervention by the goverment and it just gets done - what a concept!

I grew up in MA (and lived there most of my life...) and vowed to get the h-e double hockey sticks out of that hole filled with laws and BS red tape.  I do miss my family/friends out there and definitely miss the seafood.

Beers,

Matt

jtanguay:

--- Quote from: "Holeshot" ---I'd like to eliminate the MAF - I think mine is flaky and I don't want this to be a yearly $90 'normal maintenance' item.  I'd also like to run a BIG turbo that does not have VNT.

Eliminating the MAF and allowing for a traditionally wastegated turbo can be done with chip tuning, but I remember someone telling me that the ECM in my '98 NB is non-standard and not able to be chipped.  To top it all off, I can't swap a newer ECM into my car...nice.

Can you elaborate on hooking up resistors to the sensors?  This very idea was discussed in another thread where someone made ~180hp and 240ft-lbs to the wheels with just resistors...no bigger injector nozzles or pump heads needed.

An M-TDI only needs one wire just to run - the shutdown solenoid.  The ECM should take care of the rest, but it might like to know that the engine is running to give the alternator the field signal to keep things running at ~13.8VDC.  Goodie - big hurdle there, eh?  Maybe, maybe not.

Throttle cable - no biggie.  Speedometer - they're overrated. haha - no, I'd like to have one of those.  My '94 Ram lost the speedo/odo/cruise control when I converted from the automatic to an NV5600 6-speed and more importantly...NP241DLD to the new style NP241DHD that lacks a boss on the tailshaft for hall effect sensor for speedo...it's a bit of a pain to not have a speedo.

As for emissions/DMV/legality - none of that is an issue out here.  We have no emissions or safety checks.  Yet somehow, the air isn't polluted and there isn't a problem with substandard vehicles causing accidents.....go figure.  Leave this task up to the people without intervention by the goverment and it just gets done - what a concept!

I grew up in MA (and lived there most of my life...) and vowed to get the h-e double hockey sticks out of that hole filled with laws and BS red tape.  I do miss my family/friends out there and definitely miss the seafood.

Beers,

Matt
--- End quote ---

well the sensors use resistance to calculate a value.  so all you really need to do is find out how much resistance a sensor has for optimal performance, and swap in a resistor on the harness hookup for that sensor.  you can pretty much eliminate the MAF too, but i think that the car would lag considerably.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version