Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: '81 Rabbit not starting  (Read 5275 times)

Reply #15November 18, 2007, 12:56:32 am

offalot

• User+

'81 Rabbit not starting
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 12:56:32 am »
I would also like to see an update. This is almost my same story to a T. Except my 81 is a truck. I bought it  recently with "rebuilt injector pump" cant get it running, tested all the same things.All I have to add is I took the lines off the injectors and cranked it and just noticed them dripping, so no sign of  high fuel pressure. And this was with a bottle of fuel right before the pump, so no chance of clogged lines prior. I am going to try to pull it around hopefully if I have time tommorow.

Sorry Jolly for jackin the thread a little.

Reply #16November 18, 2007, 09:03:09 am

mk2diesel

• Junior

'81 Rabbit not starting
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 09:03:09 am »
OK … some things to try   …

check the fuse ( strip of metal) between the relay and the glow plugs , jumper it if in doubt …

fuel dribbling out of the high pressure lines = fuel to the injectors ( very little is injected each time so it barely comes out of the lines when cranking the engine )

glow plugs should get more than just warm ….(fast or slow ones) if they just get warm , they’re finished.

don’t bother to pump the gas peddle when trying to start  a diesel … the pump automatically goes to full throttle internally at cranking speed , once they get over a certain rev , the govenor and internal controls reset the fuel delivery to “idle” injection specs ….

Dragging a diesel will start it eventually  ( even if the pump is timed 180 degress out … it just won’t run very well )    

Best way to tow start a car is with a tow bar ( fixed length and rigid , no bashed bumpers)

or tow it slowly to the top of a long hill and let gravity be your friend ….

Last resort … use a LONG rope / chain / strap   …

Reply #17November 18, 2007, 12:38:35 pm

blkboostedtruck

• Veteran

'81 Rabbit not starting
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 12:38:35 pm »
I always install a outboard boat motor primer bulb in the line after the filter  before the pump! that helps me prime fuel to the I.P. when ever i do some work to it or the injectors! saves me from doing the pullstart method in witch i like because i work alone mostly!
 I'm assumin jolly1977 got his running because i havent heard since i last asked?
also the primer bulb can tell you when you need a new filter or you have a line blockage! the bulb will colaps when the engine is running!  witch mine has been telling me lately because i balieve there is something in my tank what ever it is? sometimes it restricts my fuel tell i blow compressed air through my line to free it up! and it's fine for a while till it works it's way back!
well let us know how you do?
thanks Duane
injector rebuilds call  414-840-1395 for faster service not on line much!
'66 variant 1500S
'81 2dr n/a 1.6 diesel rabbit 8"lift 260K R.I.P.
'81 caddy gas 1.8 turbo/stroker W/N.O.S.
'81 caddy 1.9 turbo diesel
'82 caddy gas 1.8 G60
 3 jettas '82' '04 '14TDI
+1 rabbit,03 HD sc.eag. duece,46,&5

S-PAutomotive.com