Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: tacho/rev counter - solutions  (Read 10529 times)

Reply #15March 08, 2005, 12:30:21 pm

SteveH

• User+

Hrmmm
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 12:30:21 pm »

Reply #16March 09, 2005, 02:36:18 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
tach
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 02:36:18 am »
I've been thinking of different ways to get a gas tach to work on a diesel.
Even went so far as to pull a tach apart and draw a schematic of the circuit.
 The gas and diesel were basically the same. Gas tach out of a '91 and a diesel tach out of an '85 turbo diesel Jetta. I figured I could probably swap a few resistors and caps and get the gas one to work with the diesel w terminal.
 This thread has been very informative. 2 pulses per revolution for the gas tach. I've also concidered using a sensor in the trany timing plug ... was thinking an optical sensor but with 2 pulses I could use a hall effect sensor (doesn't have to be kept as clean as the optical sensor) and have it trigger on the 2 raised metal pieces each side of the timing mark.
 I also want to figure out how many volts it takes to make the tack go to 7 grand. Maybe bypass all the circuitry and use a digital to analog converter ... turns number of pulses into a voltage value.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #17March 09, 2005, 08:47:46 am

SteveH

• User+

Re: tach
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 08:47:46 am »
Quote from: "fatmobile"
This thread has been very informative. 2 pulses per revolution for the gas tach. I've also concidered using a sensor in the trany timing plug ... was thinking an optical sensor but with 2 pulses I could use a hall effect sensor (doesn't have to be kept as clean as the optical sensor) and have it trigger on the 2 raised metal pieces each side of the timing mark.
 I also want to figure out how many volts it takes to make the tack go to 7 grand. Maybe bypass all the circuitry and use a digital to analog converter ... turns number of pulses into a voltage value.

Ya, I was kinda thinking the same thing.  What would be nice is if one built a module which took the place of the inspection plug on the tranny....Im going to start to collect some info on the mag sensors, and see what I can come up with (Although I would think that you'd want the 180' apart to mimmic the coil firing ?)

Reply #18March 09, 2005, 01:07:48 pm

Northern RD

• Junior

Re: tach
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 01:07:48 pm »
Quote from: "fatmobile"
I've been thinking of different ways to get a gas tach to work on a diesel.
Even went so far as to pull a tach apart and draw a schematic of the circuit.
 The gas and diesel were basically the same. Gas tach out of a '91 and a diesel tach out of an '85 turbo diesel Jetta. I figured I could probably swap a few resistors and caps and get the gas one to work with the diesel w terminal.

Funny you should mention the timimg plug as I had originally considered that approach. I had access to a common sensor made by Motorola that set the led and phototransistor at a 90 degree angle to each other: if the sensor could be set close enoughto the rotating flywheel the light from the led would bounce off the notch on the timing wheel to the phototransistor. The trick was building a mount for the sensor that could be adjusted to bring the sensor closer or further from, the flywheel. Some degree of adjustability seemed required.  In the end it seemed easier to do it in the manner that I described above.
N.

Reply #19March 10, 2005, 02:03:48 am

SteveH

• User+

tacho/rev counter - solutions
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 02:03:48 am »
Hrmm....Im really not a fan of any optical approach.  Granted, it would work just as well, but with clutch dust, and god-knows-what in there, I believe that magnetic sensors would be the best approach.  Affixing them would not be an issue, and dust, dirt would have no affect on performance.  I really think that we may be onto something here (as far as the timing plug goes).

-Steve

Reply #20March 10, 2005, 01:10:25 pm

Northern RD

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 01:10:25 pm »
Quote from: "SteveH"
Hrmm....Im really not a fan of any optical approach.  Granted, it would work just as well, but with clutch dust, and god-knows-what in there, I believe that magnetic sensors would be the best approach.  Affixing them would not be an issue, and dust, dirt would have no affect on performance.  I really think that we may be onto something here (as far as the timing plug goes).

-Steve

Air-borne dust isn`t an issue with this sort of set-up. My trigger assy. is mounted on the outside of the lower timing cover to get it`s pulse from a small notch cut into the crank pulley. Water, dust, road trash, etc was tossed ontoit in the first 2 years of use and it functioned without a hitch. The only reason I cleaned it out after 2 years was that I thought it MIGHT need cleaning at some point.
If anything I imagine that the interior of the bell housing in the general area of the timing plug is a much more benigne environment, temperature and vibration aside.
N.

Reply #21March 11, 2005, 01:15:01 am

dieselpower

• Junior

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2005, 01:15:01 am »
hey,
Northern RD, can you post the scematics and more detailed directions on what you did to get a tach working?

And VWRacer, I don't think the point is to "reinvent the wheel", i think it's to make it more usable. the tiny tach is a digital display witch needs some time to think and it causes a delay in the readings vs. actual rpm. I was on my dirt bike the other day and if i reved it it would be back at an idle before it showed my max rpm. witch if you ask me isnt really useful on a "preformance level".

just my 2 cents.

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #22March 11, 2005, 11:12:16 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2005, 11:12:16 am »
Quote from: "dieselpower"
And VWRacer, I don't think the point is to "reinvent the wheel", i think it's to make it more usable. the tiny tach is a digital display witch needs some time to think and it causes a delay in the readings vs. actual rpm. I was on my dirt bike the other day and if i reved it it would be back at an idle before it showed my max rpm. witch if you ask me isnt really useful on a "preformance level". Mark
Quite so, but I thought the point was to have some idea of one's RPM. If it is, then the Tiny Tach is a good way to go. As I said, though, if the point is to have fun building one's own tach, then by all means go for it.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #23March 12, 2005, 06:02:39 pm

Northern RD

• Junior

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2005, 06:02:39 pm »
Quote from: "dieselpower"
hey,
Northern RD, can you post the scematics and more detailed directions on what you did to get a tach working?

And VWRacer, I don't think the point is to "reinvent the wheel", i think it's to make it more usable. the tiny tach is a digital display witch needs some time to think and it causes a delay in the readings vs. actual rpm. I was on my dirt bike the other day and if i reved it it would be back at an idle before it showed my max rpm. witch if you ask me isnt really useful on a "preformance level".

just my 2 cents.

Mark

Sure, I BELIEVE i still have the original diagram around somewhere. Unfortunatly the car has gone to the Great autobahn in the sky so pics are out of the question.
i`ll seee what I can come up with,...
N.

Reply #24March 22, 2005, 05:01:02 pm

mk1vdub

• Junior

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2005, 05:01:02 pm »
ok I have thought a bit more about this, basically my idea behind the 'tiny tach' was to use it for the piezo/transducer, just like the one that is used on the timing strobe which picks up the slight bulging of the pipe when there is an injection pulse. I would basically cuck the LCD display away and use the signal from the transducer to run a gas tacho from a gti, the signal from the transducer should be very similar to that which a gas tach recieves from the coil wire, if only a bit weaker - I can then make up the neccessary amplifying circuit to boost the signal to waht ever the gas tach would normally need to work.
the one second delay on the 'tiny tach' I am fairly sure comes from the display, as if the transucer works in the same way the timing stobe one does then it will produce a signal for every injection pulse which is what I am looking for, I am hopeing this will be an easyier way for me so I don't have to mess around with optical sensors and timing wheels etc.
I hope everyone understands my explanation, if anyone can see any problems, or offerany further advice please do. :D

1983 mk1 golf GTD
1980 mk1 scirocco Gli, in bits, in the garage, awaiting full restoration

Reply #25March 22, 2005, 06:39:58 pm

Northern RD

• Junior

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2005, 06:39:58 pm »
Quote from: "mk1vdub"
ok I have thought a bit more about this, basically my idea behind the 'tiny tach' was to use it for the piezo/transducer, just like the one that is used on the timing strobe which picks up the slight bulging of the pipe when there is an injection pulse. I would basically cuck the LCD display away and use the signal from the transducer to run a gas tacho from a gti, the signal from the transducer should be very similar to that which a gas tach recieves from the coil wire, if only a bit weaker - I can then make up the neccessary amplifying circuit to boost the signal to waht ever the gas tach would normally need to work.
the one second delay on the 'tiny tach' I am fairly sure comes from the display, as if the transucer works in the same way the timing stobe one does then it will produce a signal for every injection pulse which is what I am looking for, I am hopeing this will be an easyier way for me so I don't have to mess around with optical sensors and timing wheels etc.
I hope everyone understands my explanation, if anyone can see any problems, or offerany further advice please do. :D

Your reasoning is sound, I believe the Snap-on tach works the same way. The only issue I`d have is that piezo`s are fairly sensative and you`d have to figure out a way of using it so that it`s picking up,say, a fulse from one of the injector lines and not all the backround noise with it.
N.

Reply #26March 23, 2005, 06:53:09 pm

Northern RD

• Junior

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005, 06:53:09 pm »
Quote from: "Sharkey"
You guys are

For as much effort as you are putting into just thinking and posting about this, you could build a tach that runs off the cam/injection pump sprocket. The circuitry and parts have already been figured out for you ~and~ it uses salvaged parts:
http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=76
Obviously, no one has yet found a short-cut to installing an accurate tach in a diesel that's any simpler.

Technically sweet but it still has the issue that the other guys set-up has for me: taking the timing cover off, installing the pick-up sensor, etc. Too much work for someone a lazy as me :)  :) . The most complicated thing I had to fabricate was the small bracket I used for the Motorola sensor I scrounged and that was simply installed with 2 pop rivets in the timing cover. As well, the debate and ideas thrown around here IS rather intresting!!
Later,
N.
P.S.
Anybody out there guess what the "RD" stands for?

Reply #27March 23, 2005, 06:59:37 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005, 06:59:37 pm »
Quote from: "Northern RD"

Just a guess, after a clink on your profile and a quick google:
http://www.race-uscra.com/formulard.html ?
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #28March 24, 2005, 12:13:45 pm

Northern RD

• Junior

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2005, 12:13:45 pm »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
Quote from: "Northern RD"

Just a guess, after a clink on your profile and a quick google:
http://www.race-uscra.com/formulard.html ?

Bingo!
I have 8 of them, counting my `77 daily ride.
A pint of honey pail ale for guessing if you`re ever up this way and none for the guy who thought 'RD" indicated a location in Rohde Island,... :lol:  :lol:

Reply #29April 14, 2010, 11:15:35 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
Re: tacho/rev counter - solutions
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 11:15:35 pm »
HA!! Good ol SEARCH!!

SO...back on topic. Its getting to be a bit of an obsession. I KNOW there is a way.

What I cant seem to find is.. What KIND of pulse does the VW tach need. Or any tach.
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Fixmyvw.com