S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Balancing the rotating mass  (Read 2056 times)

November 12, 2008, 10:33:35 pm

handedyourhat

• User+

Balancing the rotating mass
« on: November 12, 2008, 10:33:35 pm »
Can anyone explain to me how does VW balance the rotating internal parts ie, pistons , rods  and the crank. I weighed my conn rods and noticed that they are all different weights, I was  :shock: to see this. So If i get all the rods and pistons at the same weight will this be wrong, does VW balance all three together in a machine ? ( rods , pistons crank ).

Dan

Most of the time I get sooo far ahead of myself that I have to stop and let myself catch up......

87 jetta 1.6L TD project
87 jetta 1.6L TD Daily  (new 1.6, Giles,3", inner cooled. Home made fuel...
95 jetta 1.9L TD project
94 golf TD new edition to my family (LOL)

Reply #1November 14, 2008, 03:02:59 pm

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:02:59 pm »
i think thay only balance the crank , std rods will be close in weight , TDIs are not high reving motors and you have a big old hevy fly wheel , so thay dont need to be cock on  :lol:
Glenmorangie  single highland malt

Reply #2November 15, 2008, 09:19:40 pm

oldskool rich

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:19:40 pm »
just crank and fly wheel are balanced, rods and pistons roughly weigh about the same but, if you think about it, the air that comes in to the inlet will favour some cylinders more than others so the combustion isnt perfectly balanced eather

like snakemaster said diesels dont rev so its not that important

f6squared I.D.S.T

Reply #3November 18, 2008, 05:42:47 am

Sprockets

• User+

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:42:47 am »
I already replied to this in the IDI section with regards to balancing rods end to end, but I feel the comments about 'It not mattering as it's only a low revving diesel' needs some justification.  It's one of those things, that yes if you bolted it all together, it would be fine and last a long while but I feel it is worth the effort if it's in pieces.  It will produce a smoother running engine and also give the bearings and pistons an easier life which means an increase in reliabilty.  Double whammy for a modified set of scales and free time :)

Paying attention to detail to things like this all add up, and turns a good engine build into a great engine build.  the same as taking your time with all tolerances, ensuring ring gaps are spot on etc.  Only takes your time and minimal tool outlay, if any!!  Normally you'd have the stuff kicking about to do it.

Just my thoughts :)

-Gavin

S-PAutomotive.com