Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Stick with the 1.6TD or....  (Read 2124 times)

February 14, 2005, 01:00:57 am

crazybushman

Stick with the 1.6TD or....
« on: February 14, 2005, 01:00:57 am »
I just moved out to Calgary to work for a while, and already I'm scouring the local ads for 'diesel stuff'...  The engine in my car runs alright, I really shouldn't complain, but I get bored when there's nothing wrong, so I want to build up an engine for it.  I have a 400 psi cylinder right now, and it uses 2 Liters between oil changes (5K).  That's my justification anyways :D   I met a fellow at pick-n-pull yesterday who will sell me a long block mechanical lifter 1.6TD in need of boring for $100.  Then there's the east indian guy who's selling the 1.9TDI long block for $1200 with 85K on it, what bothers me about this one is he kept on saying "okay, I be honest with you" a lot of times.  Would I be farther along to buy a TDI block and modify it, or go all out on a 1.6 block??

I've been doing too much looking at Simon Coopers engine pictures recently I guess...  What can all be done to a puny 1.6td?  How big can they be bored out?  I'm picturing custom pistons, custom connecting rods, o-ringed head, long runner intake, and some sort of custom exhaust manifold with a different turbo (although those T28 ball bearing turbos look to be a bit pricey new), possibly a different larger intercooler if I can't have mine repaired (internal leak).  Money isn't really the issue here, I don't have a life or many expenses for that matter, I really want to build a fast, economical diesel.  Ideas?

Cheers!
Tyler

'85 Turbodiesel Jetta, top mount intercooler, etc.
'82 Rabbit TD
'83 Benz 300TD
'82 Toy Landcruiser 3.4 N/A for sale
'85 Toy 4x4 truck 2.5TD camper truck from hell, leaving for South America Oct. 1, 2005 Seeking corporate sponsorship

Reply #1February 14, 2005, 01:48:33 am

janb

• Junior

Stick with the 1.6TD or....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 01:48:33 am »
just my $.02

if you have some extra time, and $$$
find a nice GTI of GLI A2, body with trashed engine
Find a wrecked '96-99.5 TDI complete (~$2500) and do a transplant

or get a good used, one-owner, A3 Jetta TDI or B4 Passat TDI,  They are both quite superb, economical, quiet and fast (enough)  ($3500-$8000)

only so much can be done to your IDI, boring is expensive on TD's when u need to buy pistons.  So if you like to wrench, and experiment, you can play with the IDI's for awhile.  But you may have $1000+ in parts + head work.  The TDI long block is of limited value ?? You will need a pump, ECU and turbo... $$$  It is usually cheaper to buy a whole wrecked car than to piece stuff together.

Save you car $$ for what you want, (keep to a minimum), and buy 'distressed' real estate, or something that will make you 'passive income'  I wish I would have done that 30 years ago...then I could wrench to my heart's content today, and not have to go to work everyday :( , there is not enough time for fun + work + family
The Stealth Rabbit
VW-d's are forever